Inspection person's
(05-21-2021, 08:42 PM)mdhills Wrote: is this inspection required by the municipality, or is it a contingency from the buyer's lender?
Matt

Both.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
The guy is an AH, talked with my friend again, he wants the stoplights in the garage changed because they don't have covers. I told him to screw it, just remove the lights and close up the junction box. He has lights on his garage door openers, that suffices for lighting in the garage. None of these changes are expensive on their own, but added up...

The guy also wants the outdoor lights on motion detectors, he's just going to remove the lights and close up the boxes.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I thought there was a huge demand for houses?

Call the prospective buyer and tell them the deal is off.

"Next!"  ('cuz you know someone is next in line)

Probably also not a bad idea to let the realtor know they lost the commission.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
If it’s someone from the buyer’s lender I’d have my agent yrll the buyer’s agent the feel is off and why. If it’s the municipality there’s not much else to do but address the issues

What municipality requires a pre-sale inspection ?

I’ve never heard of such a thing.    I have heard and experienced a lender requiring an inspection, but even that is not an automatic.  Most only really care about the appraisal and your ability to pay.
(05-22-2021, 08:40 AM)Scouter Wrote: The guy is an AH, talked with my friend again, he wants the stoplights in the garage changed because they don't have covers. I told him to screw it, just remove the lights and close up the junction box. He has lights on his garage door openers, that suffices for lighting in the garage. None of these changes are expensive on their own, but added up...

The guy also wants the outdoor lights on motion detectors, he's just going to remove the lights and close up the boxes.

Well that one seems like a simple thing... it's either required or it's not.  I almost can't imagine it would be.  I think I'd just say no.
Moving lessons from Richard Pryor

https://youtu.be/eHANLC9JtWI
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

First thing I would ask for is a written report of any, and all deficiencies. Give a copy to all parties concerned. Pretty sure you have an attorney lined up for the closing to watch out for your interests. Have him/her ask exactly what code is being enforced. ( He may be just recalling new construction or commercial codes touched on at his last seminar.)  If he can't/won't, then ask if he considered when/if his knowingly fraudulent statements caused monetary damages he would be personally liable.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
The inspector is right about requiring GFCI protection within 6ft of any water supply, over any countertop in the kitchen no matter how close to a water supply (this is fairly new) .. and in the garage and any outside. But, a GFCI breaker at the service panel for those circuits should be sufficient for any of these circuits. The inspector should be testing these receptacles with a GFCI tester. As long as it trips somewhere, it is correct.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-21-2021, 09:53 AM)paulWoodworker Wrote: It's a power trip.. The same thing happened to me when I sold my first house.
Some "inspector" insisted every outlet had to be GFCI. I had already moved to another state, had to pay someone to do it.
Very annoying and a waste of money.
One per line is fine.
I think some inspectors just feel like they have to find something, in order to validate themselves.
When they can't find anything legit, they make up something.

Assuming, he is just a home inspector and not a county inspector, he is compelled to call out any deficiency. Truth be told, he should call out non AFCI receptacles in bedrooms too.

This does not mean the seller is compelled to fix them unless it's in the contract. The report is simply intended to inform the buyer of the deficiency.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay