Gluing, then screwing two pieces of wood for improved structural performance
Problem: The long side of my two-sided lattice fence enclosing my HVAC unit sags and is unsightly.

Situation: The homebuilder enclosed my HVAC unit with a two-sided lattice fence with one side being 102". Yes, 8' 6"! After time, the 2x4* with a 2x2* nailed to the underside began sagging. (*I do not know if the 2x4 and 2x2 were pressure-treated wood.)

Proposed Solution: Replace the 2x4 and 2x2 with a PT 2x4 and PT 2x2 assembled with a commercial-grade construction adhesive between the two and then screwed together.

Question: If the 2x2 was pre-drilled to allow the wood screw to slide to the 2x4, would screwing the 2x2 to the 2x4 after running a bead of glue between them create too much pressure between the two pieces of wood squeezing out too much glue and reduce the effectiveness of the glue?

Thanks!

gfr92y

I can't help with whether your solution will solve the sag problem, but the screws will not squeeze out too much glue,  especially 6 inches on center.  Most of us are more familiar with using wood glues- and there are waterproof ones like Titebond III,  rather then construction glue, but a few screws will not be an issue.  If the original one sagged,  consider whether you can change the dimensions -  like adding another 2 x 4 to the bottom rail, or adding posts to cut the open span length.
Depending on what I am building, for indoors or outdoors, I have glued and screwed joints many times with no issues.
(05-21-2021, 07:03 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I can't help with whether your solution will solve the sag problem, but the screws will not squeeze out too much glue,  especially 6 inches on center.  Most of us are more familiar with using wood glues- and there are waterproof ones like Titebond III,  rather then construction glue, but a few screws will not be an issue.  If the original one sagged,  consider whether you can change the dimensions -  like adding another 2 x 4 to the bottom rail, or adding posts to cut the open span length.

You and the other respondent have given me enough information to proceed and/or make some helpful design changes.

Thanks!

gfr92y
(05-21-2021, 07:03 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Depending on what I am building, for indoors or outdoors, I have glued and screwed joints many times with no issues.

You and the other respondent have given me enough information to proceed and/or make some helpful design changes.

Thanks!

gfr92y
Are you going to bend it straight or even a little bent the other way before gluing on the new piece? Otherwise you are just reinforcing the "sag"
If you use PT wood it will still have some and sometimes a lot of moisture in it.  If so, make sure the adhesive you use is rated for PT.  FWIW, Gorilla Glue works really well in this application.  

John
I would also note that when I enclosed (3 sides and open at the bottom) my through the wall air conditioner with a plastic lattice to partially hide the unit, the compressor cycled off and only warm air came out of the A.C. 

I removed the lattice and it started to cool again.

I would note that there is very little ventilation above the AC due to the large overhang of the soffit. 

Just one more thing to be aware of.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think I would use a 1/4" x 2" x 2" steel angle iron and bolt it through. Use some "cold galvanizing" spray coating to help prevent rust before installing.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
If nothing else I would turn the 2x4 on edge and then add the 2x2. Even better change the 2x4 to a 2x6.

--------------------
|           |           |
|           |           |
|           |---------
|           |
|           |
-----------