Gluing, then screwing two pieces of wood for improved structural performance
Your solution will deflect the same way as the previous design. Screws will not cause glue starvation of the joint, but also will not have much of an effect on deflection. To improve the stiffness of the design you either need to use a stiffer material or increase the moment of inertia of the design.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
O.k., here's my $.02 worth. 2, 1" x 4" top rails sandwiching the lattice.   2, 1" x 4" bottom rails sandwiching the lattice. 2" x 4" rail cap screwed down into the pair of top rails. Add screws thru one rail and lattice into the other rail.The lattice will provide plenty of resistance to sagging if the top can't compress and the bottom cant stretch. If the lattice has a seam in the middle, I would add a stile using a pair of 1"x 4"s.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(05-24-2021, 09:07 AM)Cooler Wrote: I would also note that when I enclosed (3 sides and open at the bottom) my through the wall air conditioner with a plastic lattice to partially hide the unit, the compressor cycled off and only warm air came out of the A.C. 

I removed the lattice and it started to cool again.

I would note that there is very little ventilation above the AC due to the large overhang of the soffit. 

Just one more thing to be aware of.

Hi,

Any idea why the cover would affect the compressor? I was about to install such a device, mainly to stop/slow rain coming in the back and had not considered this as a problem. Thanks,
(05-28-2021, 11:37 AM)taxman Wrote: Hi,

Any idea why the cover would affect the compressor? I was about to install such a device, mainly to stop/slow rain coming in the back and had not considered this as a problem. Thanks,

The outdoor unit has the condenser coil with the compressor located in the middle of it...normally. The condenser coil relies on a steady stream of ambient air to be pulled through it to condense the hot refrigerant, strait from your compressor, into liquid refrigerant to send to the evaporator coil. No or reduced air flow is bad, system will either not work at all or struggle and cause additional wear and tear. If you have the original installation paperwork it should show how much unobstructed clearance you need above and around the outdoor unit.