Honda EU6500is Generator
(05-23-2021, 03:38 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: To answer a few replys, The battery is dead on the generator and has been for awhile now so I have been starting with rip chord. Usually 2 pulls and starts right up. Now starts with one pull but shuts off. So I am unable to see codes or errors. I need to get a new battery and this maybe the time for that. When started and running then I can read everything. 

We have no non-ethanol gas in NJ where I am so I started using premium last year because someone told me it was better than the mid grade which I always was using before that. Who knows. 

I will try starting with cap off. I will take the air cleaner box off ( I do not think there is an air filter in there) and will spray carb cleaner in the carb. I will take the bowl off and check to see if dirty. 

As I said I turn off fuel valve and let run till dry and then drain bowl. I then turn key off. It is stored in my shed. I am not knowledegable enough to dismantle carb and clean. There are 2 motors on top of carb and from what I hear they are a pain to put back because of the little springs. If I can not get running I probably will have to take to a dealer. 

Thanks for the replys. I am reading them all.

Owner's manual https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/...256200.pdf at page 45 says regular non leaded with no more than 10% ethanol is fine to run, so I don't think that's your problem.  As has been pointed out, it sounds like a fuel starving/carburetor issue to me.  I just rebuilt the carb on a 90's vintage Briggs engine in my rototiller (last time I did that was like 45 years ago! - how time flies...) , not really a big deal, just takes time and patience, and in my case I found youtube videos that walked me through the process.  I'm sure Honda sell kits for that.  This video might help:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbDHPfTv0Q0
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-03-2021, 11:50 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I will get back to all when I get around to really looking at this. But my knee gave out on me and I am having problems so not sure what I need to do there. But will tell you this. Tues I picked up a new battery because the old one was too far gone and could not be recharged. That was my fault also. Never bought a charger. But now have one. That was dead for over 2 years and I always pulled the chord. But I wanted to see if there was an error code that maybe of some help. Well sure enough the oil sensor light. Now I was not able to replace oil yet or sensor if need be. But I did start the gen after 2 tries and the light went out and it stayed running for about a min when I had to shut down because it was filling shed with fumes. When knee gets better I will be able to wheel out and work on it and I believe it is fixable without going to shop but I made arrangements in case though. Bad timing on the knee.

No matter what grade of gas you have in the tank, todays gas is only good for about 3 months before it starts to degrade from the ethanal. Ethanal not only eats the gas lines and o rings it also pulls moisture  air. I would drain the system from the tank to the carb. Then refill it with fresh gas and a stabilizer in it. Also Mechanic In a Bottle works wonders.
Just wanted to give an update on this situation. I was finally able to get to my generator problem today. First let me say I had to buy a new battery because I did not keep the old one charged and it was too far gone. I wanted to see if any error codes would come up when turned on and sure enough the oil light was on as I figured it might be. Thought it might be a sensor. Well I drained oil and put fresh in. Turned key and light went out and started right up. Ran for an hour with a load on it and it purred like a kitten. So no rebuilding carbs or tearing anything down. But I will run gas out of it and from now on use gas with stabilizer in it.  This gas was bought in Dec. So I am pushing it but with doing some runs to keep battery charged and keep things running well I will burn it up within a few more hours. 

Want to thank everyone for their thoughts and ideas and knowledge. Have to say I actually stopped at a dealer to set up a pickup if I could not get running so saved a few $$$. Thanks again.
John T.
(06-07-2021, 10:31 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: But I will run gas out of it and from now on use gas with stabilizer in it.

I added a tee with fuel shutoff to mine so I can drain the big tank and refill with fresh gas and stabilizer.  Always with ethanol free gas, as it's over 20 years old and I don't think the rubber parts were made for ethanol.  

I put a piece of blue masking tape on the caps or tanks of everything with seasonal use, with the date of the last fill and whether or not it has stabilizer.  I don't add stabilizer to my two 5 gallon metal safety cans in the early summer, since I use that up pretty quick in the tractor, but when I store them for the winter for generator back-up fuel, they get treated.  As do the two 6-gallon portable boat tanks, and of course, every engine that's stored for long periods, like pressure washer, generator, and snow blower.

I'm glad you got it running.  Dodged an expensive bullet there.  
Winkgrin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-08-2021, 06:09 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I added a tee with fuel shutoff to mine so I can drain the big tank and refill with fresh gas and stabilizer.  Always with ethanol free gas, as it's over 20 years old and I don't think the rubber parts were made for ethanol.  

I put a piece of blue masking tape on the caps or tanks of everything with seasonal use, with the date of the last fill and whether or not it has stabilizer.  I don't add stabilizer to my two 5 gallon metal safety cans in the early summer, since I use that up pretty quick in the tractor, but when I store them for the winter for generator back-up fuel, they get treated.  As do the two 6-gallon portable boat tanks, and of course, every engine that's stored for long periods, like pressure washer, generator, and snow blower.

I'm glad you got it running.  Dodged an expensive bullet there.  
Winkgrin

Yes it could have been. I like the idea of keeping tract. I am going to attach a small pad to gen. and record test times and dates as well as any maintenance such as oil changes, spark plugs and things like this. Thanks for the idea.
John T.