Outdoor Shutter Design Help
Hello All,

I need to build and install outdoor shutters on our house... honey do list.

The picture below is the design I plan to follow. It is not too difficult but I will have to build a jig to cut out the horizontal openings you see at the top. I am not planning to cut out the horizontal openings all the way through as that would compromise the structure. I am planning to use 3/4" material but I am not sure what type of wood to use. My wife wants me to match the wood (as best I can) to the new garage door we are buying. I may go with Spanish Cedar, Plain old Cedar or Cypress. 

As you can see, there is one stretcher at the top and a support piece at the bottom. I was thinking of adding a stretcher to the bottom but I guess it looks ok the way it is. As an alternative, I may skip the support piece at the bottom and instead install another stretcher. Depends on what SWMBO thinks.

For glue up, I plan to glue the outside vertical pieces but not the middle piece to the stretcher. I kind of see this as a panel door where the rails and stiles get glued together but the panel floats. Anyone agree or disagree? I live in SE Florida so there is not as much variation in the temperature. Its either hot or really hot. The shutters will be faux and I will attach them to the cinderblock via Tapcons.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks, Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

If you plan to screw it to the wall then there are few structural issues to be concerned with; any design you like will be ok as long as the boards can expand/contract as they want.  I would put some standoffs on the back side so that air can circulate freely.  

One alternative to solid wood would be MDO or Extira (sp)  Using a panel would allow you to route those openings all the way through if you wanted to.  You could add solid wood stiles and battens, etc. w/o worry of expansion issues.  Of course, this assumes you are going to paint them.  

John
The bottom batten is going to collect water and cause rot.
I think a lower stretcher slightly taller than the top stretcher would be better.
In fact, the top one looks a little too narrow for my taste.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
If you go with a stretcher on the bottom, bevel the top edge to shed water.
Thanks for the feedback.

I should have mentioned, I plan to stain the wood to match (or come close) our new garage door.

I have been looking at IPE, Spanish Cedar and Cypress.
Hello all. Here is the almost finished product. The pieces on the right will be installed horizontally at the bottom of each shutter. I may put on another coat of stain to see if that even things out a bit but I don't mind it the won't is now.

Each shutter weighs about 20 pounds. What are the votes for how to install them in concrete block? Red Head has these nails in a sleeve where you basically drill a hole and then pound the nail and the case expands. Seems very easy. I could do Tapcons. Hilti has a carriage bolt type faster but instead of pounding, you turn a bolt and the case expands.
And now for the attachment.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-04-2021, 03:19 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Hello all. Here is the almost finished product. The pieces on the right will be installed horizontally at the bottom of each shutter. I may put on another coat of stain to see if that even things out a bit but I don't mind it the won't is now.

Each shutter weighs about 20 pounds. What are the votes for how to install them in concrete block? Red Head has these nails in a sleeve where you basically drill a hole and then pound the nail and the case expands. Seems very easy. I could do Tapcons. Hilti has a carriage bolt type faster but instead of pounding, you turn a bolt and the case expands.

I vote for 2"- 3"- #10 S.S. panhead tapping screws. Spray paint the heads if desired (something other than Tapcon blue). Push plastic rawls into holes instead of attempting to thread concrete. I have added Tapcon screws to the list of items i have no interest of ever using again.

I would make a full size template with the required holes and use it to mark the holes on the shutters and the wall. Sure, we could use a tape and framing square, but let's do that once; on a work bench, not up on a wall. Using a template also assures me that the first time i go up a ladder with the shutter it's ready to run the screws in. I'd rather drop a scrap of 1/4" ply. than the custom built shutter.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I use 3/8” Redhead expanding bolts like the Hilti’s you describe.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-05-2021, 08:47 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I use 3/8” Redhead expanding bolts like the Hilti’s you describe.

Thanks.

How long of a bolt would you get?

For the top of the shutter, the material thickness will be 3/4" but the bottom will be 1 1/2" thick of material as I will be drilling through the shutter and a horizontal piece that is also 3/4" thick.

My house is made of concrete block. Concrete blocks are supposed to be 1 1/4" thick. I don't think they fill them with concrete as I have used Tapcons in other places and I can tell from drilling that after about an inch, I am drilling into air.

So assuming I am not going to bury the heads, I need a bolt that is 2" for the top and 2 3/4" for the bottom. I know they don't make a 2 3/4" bolt so I am guessing 2" bolt for the top and 3" for the bottom? I want to be careful that the expansion part is not hitting the hollow part of the block or does it matter?