Cherry and maple console table
My spring project this year was to build a console table to replace a TV stand my wife and I had bought many years ago when our tastes were different and before I started woodworking. After much debate on the wood species, we decided on cherry - however, my local lumber supplier had a nice batch of curly maple. I wanted to implement some of this figure into the design but not too big of a fan of the stark cherry/maple contrast. So, in an attempt to broaden my finishing skillset, went with an aniline dye. As typical, my one previous attempt at dye resulted in some left over but the resulting tone of the maple was a decidedly unpleasant purple. The goal was to not match the cherry but to bring the tone of the two woods closer together to lessen the contrast and still maintain the figure as much as possible. Ordered a second dye and started testing mixtures. Once I got the tone i wanted, mixed up a large batch (wound up being about 25/75 mix) and went at it. Using wood dye is not for the faint of heart as there are moments of despair where it seems like you've ruined everything. Pushing on, wound up with a nice tonal compliment between the cherry and maple. Finish schedule was 2 coats of dye with light sand in between to get rid of the raised grain (maple only), soak of boiled linseed oil, then 4 coats of wipe on oil varnish blend (with some light sanding in between coats 2-3, followed by a coat of wax. 

Design is customized to the TV and media equipment planned for it (e.g., bottom shelf extends beyond the legs to place some small speakers). We like an asian influence in our furniture so has that feel to it. 

Critiques welcome! 

Matt

[Image: 51197590026_203b830035_z.jpg][Image: 51198363504_e074616fb6_z.jpg]
Before and after with the curly maple. 

[Image: 51196872952_00dbaf8210_z.jpg]
In progress construction pic.
[Image: 51197587806_8d45d487e2_z.jpg][Image: 51198442654_88e3bea4f9_z.jpg]
Finished and assembled table.
(05-23-2021, 10:35 AM)mpmiller Wrote: My spring project this year was to build a console table to replace a TV stand my wife and I had bought many years ago when our tastes were different and before I started woodworking. After much debate on the wood species, we decided on cherry - however, my local lumber supplier had a nice batch of curly maple. I wanted to implement some of this figure into the design but not too big of a fan of the stark cherry/maple contrast. So, in an attempt to broaden my finishing skillset, went with an aniline dye. As typical, my one previous attempt at dye resulted in some left over but the resulting tone of the maple was a decidedly unpleasant purple. The goal was to not match the cherry but to bring the tone of the two woods closer together to lessen the contrast and still maintain the figure as much as possible. Ordered a second dye and started testing mixtures. Once I got the tone i wanted, mixed up a large batch (wound up being about 25/75 mix) and went at it. Using wood dye is not for the faint of heart as there are moments of despair where it seems like you've ruined everything. Pushing on, wound up with a nice tonal compliment between the cherry and maple. Finish schedule was 2 coats of dye with light sand in between to get rid of the raised grain (maple only), soak of boiled linseed oil, then 4 coats of wipe on oil varnish blend (with some light sanding in between coats 2-3, followed by a coat of wax. 

Design is customized to the TV and media equipment planned for it (e.g., bottom shelf extends beyond the legs to place some small speakers). We like an asian influence in our furniture so has that feel to it. 

Critiques welcome! 

Matt

Nicely done.  Great design and excellent execution.  I particularly like the top raised on the ends as opposed to the more common elevation across the width of the top.  Can you elaborate on the dye used?  Water soluble, manufacturer, color names?
Looking very nice .
I like the design.
(05-23-2021, 12:15 PM)Tankwood Wrote: I like it,
The appearance of top floating is unique ,

Excellent design...  Bravo!
Very nice isn't quite enough.  That's stunning.  
Yes
That is quite beautiful, well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Well...from here it is beautiful!

Excellent design!

I would have never had the nerve to dye that amazing maple...you done real good thar fella!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Outstanding! Love the grain!

(05-23-2021, 10:35 AM)mpmiller Wrote: My spring project this year was to build a console table to replace a TV stand my wife and I had bought many years ago when our tastes were different and before I started woodworking. After much debate on the wood species, we decided on cherry - however, my local lumber supplier had a nice batch of curly maple. I wanted to implement some of this figure into the design but not too big of a fan of the stark cherry/maple contrast. So, in an attempt to broaden my finishing skillset, went with an aniline dye. As typical, my one previous attempt at dye resulted in some left over but the resulting tone of the maple was a decidedly unpleasant purple. The goal was to not match the cherry but to bring the tone of the two woods closer together to lessen the contrast and still maintain the figure as much as possible. Ordered a second dye and started testing mixtures. Once I got the tone i wanted, mixed up a large batch (wound up being about 25/75 mix) and went at it. Using wood dye is not for the faint of heart as there are moments of despair where it seems like you've ruined everything. Pushing on, wound up with a nice tonal compliment between the cherry and maple. Finish schedule was 2 coats of dye with light sand in between to get rid of the raised grain (maple only), soak of boiled linseed oil, then 4 coats of wipe on oil varnish blend (with some light sanding in between coats 2-3, followed by a coat of wax. 

Critiques welcome! 

Matt

Looks nice, is the finish flat on the maple?
(05-23-2021, 10:47 AM)LongLook Wrote: Nicely done.  Great design and excellent execution.  I particularly like the top raised on the ends as opposed to the more common elevation across the width of the top.  Can you elaborate on the dye used?  Water soluble, manufacturer, color names?

I believe the old was a transtint that I used for some white oak furniture. Can't remember the color (maybe Brown Mahogany). The new one was Vintage Maple. I used 3/4 old with 1/4 new with distilled water. Very fuzzy after the first coat....