Question about Target Coating product
Specifically, when its necessary to use retarder additive to EM7000 High Build Lacquer.

We are supposed to have 95°+ temps here this week.

I'm assuming too fast drying is an issue, right? Can you counter by heavier coat?

Can't get through to them no response on emails.
They told me (years ago) I had to use their retarder, I still have some on hand in fact. Don't know what it's called now, but this stuff is labeled SA5 Retarder. I suspect the heavier coat will compound your problems. You want the finish to flow out and making it thicker would seem to make your problems worse if it sets up too quick...just a guess.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I suggest you spray a test panel and see if the finish flows out or ends up sandy.  If it flows out OK then you don't need retarder; if not, you do.  Simple as that.  I wouldn't adjust the coating thickness, etc.  

John
I use retarder all the time, even when it's not so hot.
I gives a much smoother finish without running it if you
use it in place of part of the thinner.
You can slow it way down without thinning it.
(05-24-2021, 07:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I suggest you spray a test panel and see if the finish flows out or ends up sandy.  If it flows out OK then you don't need retarder; if not, you do.  Simple as that.  I wouldn't adjust the coating thickness, etc.  

John
Thx, I was just telling my wife that's what I'll do this morning LOL.

Would thinning with a little more water help by slowing down evaporation?
(05-25-2021, 09:44 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Thx, I was just telling my wife that's what I'll do this morning LOL.

Would thinning with a little more water help by slowing down evaporation?

I don't think thinning will slow down evaporation enough to matter but it will put on a thinner coating for the same gun settings.  Whether or not that's a benefit depends upon how well your gun atomizes the finish. If you spray heavier then added water will start to have a more significant effect on evaporation but you run the risk of runs and/or orange peel.

When I spray I add water only when I need to get better atomization.  When I need more open time I add retarder.  I almost always try to spray the same film thickness as recommended, typically 3 - 4 mils wet.  Too heavy and I get orange peel, too light and it sets up before it flows out.  

John
Exactly what happened. I didn't use the retarder b/c it needs to sit for an hour and I got impatient. I thinned the normal amount (10+%) using 1.3mm tip and a Sprayport 3 stage.

So, I spent early this morning sanding orange peel, and found a few joints not flush, and found some gaps that mysteriously appeared........sand and fill and re-primed.

Today I will try again and this time use retarder. It will be 93° and low humidity (for us).

My hat really goes off to the guys who have the painting thing down.

I actually enjoy it when it goes well but I will be SO done with painting for a while.

I know its simply my inexperience. But I am a LOT better now than when I started the project!