Incra iBox limitations?
I'm starting a table build soon that utilizes finger joints on the leg assemblies. I've read lots of good things about it and intend on buying one for this job if it's suitable. I've wanted one for a long time but couldn't justify it.

What say you guys?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I could be wrong, but it seems like the iBox cannot handle cuts that deep. I would also be concerned about safely holding/clamping the long pieces vertical against such a short fence.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
No, it's what Iclark said. I'd have to measure the cutting depth but I'm fairly certain it won't cut that deep (I'll check back later when I'm in the shop) but I'm dead sure those pieces are too long for the jig. It's a great jig, and you should consider one...but not for that table frame. A much better way to do those (IMO) would be to use a bandsaw and chisel the bottoms square.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, folks. I want one, and will eventually get it, but if it won't work for this job it'll wait.
Semper fi,
Brad

(05-28-2021, 05:58 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm starting a table build soon that utilizes finger joints on the leg assemblies.  I've read lots of good things about it and intend on buying one for this job if it's suitable.  I've wanted one for a long time but couldn't justify it.

What say you guys?

I just measured the height of the opening in the aluminum iBox fence at 1 1/4". I'm guessing that would be the maximum length of a finger. Actually a little less for clearance. Holding the long board vertical is another story.

---
See ya later,
Bill
(05-28-2021, 05:58 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm starting a table build soon that utilizes finger joints on the leg assemblies.  I've read lots of good things about it and intend on buying one for this job if it's suitable.  I've wanted one for a long time but couldn't justify it.

What say you guys?

A fence on a home-built jig, either for a tablesaw or router table, is as high as you make it, and as capable as your clamps on the legs. 

FWIW, simple bridle joints are easy, using a tenon jig.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Yeah, Michael, I'm leaning towards a bridle joint. Customer is giving me VERY liberal license to build it according to my skills and tooling. I think bridle joints on my almost-never-used Delta tenon jig is my best bet.
Semper fi,
Brad

It always irks me seeing designs that have no structural ww'ing in them - just design for designing's sake. There's no apron, no gussets, nothing to prevent racking other than a cross grain glue joint. [/rant]

IMO dovetails would be a great choice. A jig would make it a fairly easy process (reference William Ng video).

If you do box or lap joints, I would definitely pin them!!

And, get the customer to agree to a 90 day warranty. Find out what vacuum they're using LOL.
I'm modifying the base to be structurally sound. She wants something that looks like the piece sold by Ikea, but modified to be built from solid wood. There will be an apron under the top. The top will be attached with z-clips.
Semper fi,
Brad

To be fair, though, the original piece is particle board with veneer. It's not wood, and the "cross grain" piece is held in place with dowels and screws.
Semper fi,
Brad