Insulation question
Getting ready to finish the main bathroom. The shower will be in a corner with one wall being exterior. 2 by 4 studs.
I want to beef up the insulation on the outside wall. Options as I see them:

Add to the studs and use 6 inch fiberglass

Fill the 2x 4 wall with sheet styrofoam

Leave the 3 1/2 inch fiberglass in place and put sheet foam over the studs, then drywall. 1 inch foil faced foam or 2 inch styrofoam?

I really don't see an easy way to do the wall with spray foam.

Your thoughts?

(05-29-2021, 12:41 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Getting ready to finish the main bathroom. The shower will be in a corner with one wall being exterior. 2 by 4 studs.
I want to beef up the insulation on the outside wall. Options as I see them:

Add to the studs and use 6 inch fiberglass

Fill the 2x 4 wall with sheet styrofoam

Leave the 3 1/2 inch fiberglass in place and put sheet foam over the studs, then drywall. 1 inch foil faced foam or 2 inch styrofoam?

I really don't see an easy way to do the wall with spray foam.

Your thoughts?

I'm not sure the 'benefit' will be worth the bother.
(05-29-2021, 02:27 PM)KC Wrote: I'm not sure the 'benefit' will be worth the bother.

+1
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Your most cost effective option is to use R-15 fiberglass in the standard 3-1/2" studs.  Foam board will be only marginally higher at 17.5.  For greater insulation you would either need to go with spray foam or increase the stud depth.  

John
I'm with John on this one as to your options; my choice would be the spray foam insulation (BTDT). More R value and air tight. However, in today's environment it may be difficult to get someone out to do a small job.

Doug
(05-30-2021, 01:46 AM)Tapper Wrote: I'm with John on this one as to your options; my choice would be the spray foam insulation (BTDT). More R value and air tight. However, in today's environment it may be difficult to get someone out to do a small job.

Doug

Actually, you can buy DIY spray foam kits now, but they aren't cheap.  

John
(05-29-2021, 12:41 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Add to the studs and use 6 inch fiberglass

if your thinking here is sister 2 by 6 studs, something easier and more economical is to rip some 2 by stock down to 2". cut into 6" blocks. mount 2' o.c. up the existing studs

if you want to get really creative, look into mooney wall construction.