Completed Project - Pennsylvania Tall Clock
This clock was featured in an August 2004 FWW issue. I always liked the project and finally got around to building it. The FWW version was constructed using curly Maple, but since it is a Pennsylvania tall clock – I decided to go with Pennsylvania Cherry.

Also, thanks to George L. with our local woodworkers club who turned  the four pediment columns for me.

The project involved several different applied moldings. The crown and arched molding on the upper pediment were the most challenging, involving several steps to create the profiles (used the slanted fence on the TS technique to mill the crown moldings). Also, fitting the arched framed glass dial door was a bit tricky since it inset about 1-1/4” within the arched pediment section. Special pivot hinges were used that basically “throw” the door outward as it pivots.

Stats:
Case: Cherry
Doors/Front Base panel: Curly Cherry
Clock Movement: Hermle 451.050 8-day movement
Finish: Target WB Shellac (seal coat); Target WB varnish (top coat)

Don ,  nice work, that is a beautiful piece.
Beautiful work, well done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
WOW!! Fantastic work. We'd all love to see a couple close up pics----

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Beautiful.  A tall clock was always on my 'to do' list, but now we don't have a place to put one.  Nice job.  
Yes
This is a beautiful piece.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(05-30-2021, 06:45 AM)shoottmx Wrote: WOW!! Fantastic work. We'd all love to see a couple close up pics----

g

Thanks - Here and some more/better pictures. The darn thing is so tall (90") that I could not shoot pics in my normal spot - so had too improvise. The first one is a bit washed out - I think these are a little better

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful. A tall clock is on my bucket list. Would love to see another set of pics after a year or so as the cherry color deepens. Kudos to you for not using any toners or dyes. I think cherry looks best naturally aged.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the additional pics Don_M,

Love the curly cherry accents. Goegeous work,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(05-30-2021, 12:06 PM)AHill Wrote: Would love to see another set of pics after a year or so as the cherry color deepens.  Will do

Kudos to you for not using any toners or dyes.  I think cherry looks best naturally aged. Agree - I rarely ever uses stains or dyes. Just try to be really careful with material section and color.