Gutter drain pipe: Perforated or solid?
I am putting in an 8 foot section of concrete walk at the side of my machine shed.  That spot has one of the downspouts for shed's gutter system, and i'm going to run it out under the new concrete.  Picture:

The red line shows where the drain pipe will run under the concrete.  I plan to use 4" corrugated plastic pipe, and the runoff will exit through a pop-up emitter to the right of the picture.

My question is, should this pipe be of the perforated variety or solid?  At first I thought solid, but as I think about it, I may need that pipe to be able to leach water out because there's no way for it to empty effectively and it will be frozen at least four months per year.  If the pipe isn't full of water, then it should be ok for the inevitable winter freeze.

Thoughts?
I've had to clean roots out of perforated pipe too often, I'd go with the solid and not worry about it freezing. That is based on my vast inexperience at this type of thing...so you might want to wait for a more informed opinion.
Smile
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Not what you asked, but I’d tap the gutter somewhere else for the downspout and let it free drain.  Like over the door and then down.  But I don’t know what the gutter and roof looks like, so maybe not possible.

I’d be a little concerned about perf pipe making the area under the walk very wet and it heaving in the cold weather.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Also agree on reroute the down sport to the other side of the door to drop out into the mulched area. Allow the water to perk away into the mulch away from a travel area. Also if not able to reroute use solid pipe over perforated. Less likely to trap leaves and debris.
I would not use corrugated pipe I would use solid
(05-30-2021, 05:26 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I would not use corrugated pipe I would use solid

I also would run solid pipe a little past the sidewalk then install a T in it for the pop up then continue a way with perf pipe for a short length to drain the pipe.   Roly
You could run a solid pipe and drill a few small holes so it will drain, but not a lot. Kind of the best of both worlds.
So you are going to run a drain without an outlet?

Could you run that to a French drain?

Around here, perforated tile is normally to get water out of the ground and into the tile.
(05-30-2021, 06:50 AM)WxMan Wrote: I am putting in an 8 foot section of concrete walk at the side of my machine shed.  That spot has one of the downspouts for shed's gutter system, and i'm going to run it out under the new concrete.  Picture:

The red line shows where the drain pipe will run under the concrete.  I plan to use 4" corrugated plastic pipe, and the runoff will exit through a pop-up emitter to the right of the picture.

My question is, should this pipe be of the perforated variety or solid?  At first I thought solid, but as I think about it, I may need that pipe to be able to leach water out because there's no way for it to empty effectively and it will be frozen at least four months per year.  If the pipe isn't full of water, then it should be ok for the inevitable winter freeze.

Thoughts?

I used solid 4" PVC schedule 40 from the down spouts to a dry well.  Those pipe were place in a trough with cloth and base rock under them to take the water not in the pipe away in the same direction.  I know it's over kill for your situation but I think you can employ part of that to avoid any trouble later on.  I don't have any puddles or uneven spots in the yard, the neighbor's place can turn into a lake when it rains hard
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I wouldn’t cover the pipe; I would put it in a small culvert with a metal grate over it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.