5 1/2 hand plane
Why is every one suddenly wanting a 5 1/2 hand plane? I see people wanting to trade LN 6's for LN 5 1/2s. And people listing that they just want to buy a 5 1/2. The plane desired used to be the 4 1/2. I always had trouble selling reground 5 1/2s when I was regrinding planes. No body wanted 5 1/2s or the 6s. I really don't see that much difference between a 5 1/2 and a 6. They seem to be in demand now so the price while certainly go up.

Is Ron Cosman having a big effect on the market?

Tom
(05-30-2021, 09:20 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Why is every one suddenly wanting a 5 1/2 hand plane? I see people wanting to trade LN 6's for LN 5 1/2s. And people listing that they just want to buy a 5 1/2. The plane desired used to be the 4 1/2. I always had trouble selling reground 5 1/2s when I was regrinding planes. No body wanted 5 1/2s or the 6s. I really don't see that much difference between a 5 1/2 and a 6. They seem to be in demand now so the price while certainly go up.

Tom
A 5 1/2 a pretty ideal length for me and the wider blade allows for skewing while still producing a good width shaving and skewing produces a "slicing cut" instead of a straight "push cut"...making the edge perform like it is actually sharper...Plus skewing makes the plane easier to push. I like easier..
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-30-2021, 05:29 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
A 5 1/2 a pretty ideal length for me and the wider blade allows for skewing while still producing a good width shaving and skewing produces a "slicing cut" instead of a straight "push cut"...making the edge perform like it is actually sharper...Plus skewing makes the plane easier to push. I like easier..
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

Please do not take this as argument because it is not. But I am interested in why it has become so popular just resonantly. The newer 5 1/2s are 2 3/8s wide whereas the earlier ones were 2 1/4 wide. so the only actual difference is a 5 1/2 is 2 1/4 inches shorter than a 6. I wouldn't think that there was much of a weight difference in 2 1/2  inches of length of the plane to warrant the plane suddenly becoming
 so much in demand. 

I can also understand that if you have one for what ever reason you got it, and you just like it, why you would just like using it 

Two years ago I would have had trouble selling a 5 1/2 and if I ground it,  it was, along with a #6, a money loosing proposition as far as time spent grinding was concerned. Today if I had 15 of them I would sell out in less than a day and I could get the same money unground. I am just wondering what gives..

Tom
I don't understand No. 5-1/2 planes.  I owned one for a while, but couldn't figure out why it was different from a No. 6.  I was given a No. 6 by a friend, and have found it an occasionally useful plane - kind of a Hulk Needs a Jack Plane tool.  But I didn't until (moderately) recently own a No. 7, and I may well find, as I grow accustomed to the No. 7, that I conclude that the No. 6 is redundant, too.

Stanley produced so many redundant models...you see it in the block planes, too, where there seem to be endless variations of the same basic design, for no apparent reason.  They must have been determined to meet every possible price point/every possible customer.
Tom, the only reason I can think of for a resurgence in #5 1/2s is that Rob Cosman pushes them in his videos. He is influenced strongly by David Charlesworth, who made this size well known as his “super smoother”.

Now both David and Rob are fabulous woodworkers and teachers, however it needs to be recognised that their style of woodworking may not fit all. It certainly fits those looking for a minimum of bench hand planes - block plane, #5 1/2 and #7 are all which are recommended. Since the basic boards are prepared fully on power machines, these planes can work well now.

Anyhow, Rob’s YouTube channel is very popular - I watch it as well - and this is likely where many get their introduction to the #5 1/2.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-30-2021, 06:09 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Please do not take this as argument because it is not. But I am interested in why it has become so popular just resonantly. The newer 5 1/2s are 2 3/8s wide whereas the earlier ones were 2 1/4 wide. so the only actual difference is a 5 1/2 is 2 1/4 inches shorter than a 6. I wouldn't think that there was much of a weight difference in 2 1/2  inches of length of the plane to warrant the plane suddenly becoming
 so much in demand. 

I can also understand that if you have one for what ever reason you got it, and you just like it, why you would just like using it 

Two years ago I would have had trouble selling a 5 1/2 and if I ground it,  it was, along with a #6, a money loosing proposition as far as time spent grinding was concerned. Today if I had 15 of them I would sell out in less than a day and I could get the same money unground. I am just wondering what gives..

Tom
I don't know why they are becoming so popular..Could be what Derek stated...Cosman has lots of followers and his opinion has lots of influence..I have had mine for many years and just like the blade width and the weight.
I remember years ago Frank Klauz cause lots of interest in horn planes. I still have one made in France by Peugeot..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-30-2021, 09:20 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Why is every one suddenly wanting a 5 1/2 hand plane? I see people wanting to trade LN 6's for LN 5 1/2s. And people listing that they just want to buy a 5 1/2. The plane desired used to be the 4 1/2. I always had trouble selling reground 5 1/2s when I was regrinding planes. No body wanted 5 1/2s or the 6s. I really don't see that much difference between a 5 1/2 and a 6. They seem to be in demand now so the price while certainly go up.

Tom

David Charlesworth explained last year that when he started he had three planes, but that only the 5 1/2 was really in usable condition, so he ended up using the 5 1/2 for everything. I don't think he uses planes very much. I don't think Cosman does much planing either.

The #3 and #4 smoothers have been the most popular among workers for over a century.
(05-30-2021, 09:25 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...horn planes. I still have one made in France by Peugeot..
Big Grin
Peugeot would be fine; just don't get one made by Renault, because it will break down all the time.
(05-31-2021, 08:38 AM)wmickley Wrote: David Charlesworth explained last year that when he started he had three planes, but that only the 5 1/2 was really in usable condition, so he ended up using the 5 1/2 for everything. I don't think he uses planes very much. I don't think Cosman does much planing either.
I don’t know if you are joking or serious, but if you are serious you could not be more mistaken about their lack of usage and experience with hand planes.
(05-31-2021, 08:53 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Peugeot would be fine; just don't get one made by Renault, because it will break down all the time.

Laugh
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset