Ruler trick - any reason not to use it?
(06-10-2021, 01:55 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Ruler trick, any reason not to use it........more likely, any reason TO even use it.     haven't seen any
Winkgrin ...YMMV

ha....tantamount to a well-equipped power tool guy saying no reason to use any hand tools in his work.
Smirk 

Simon
(06-10-2021, 02:28 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: ha....tantamount to a well-equipped power tool guy saying no reason to use any hand tools in his work.
Smirk 

Simon
Leave it to two of the guys who complain most often about sharpening threads to revive this thread 4 days after everyone else has let the dead horse lie.
Well, well...since you enjoy it so much.....maybe we will just keep this one going a while longer....for "old time's sake"...
Laugh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
What? 4 days is considered long enough? I've seen threads revived a few years later after their last exchanges.

Sharpening is a good topic to talk about like when to use or not to use the ruler trick as long as people don't scare the beginners and others with their overthought ideals. Just KISS.

Simon
(06-10-2021, 11:47 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: What? 4 days is considered long enough? I've seen threads revived a few years later after their last exchanges.

Sharpening is a good topic to talk about like when to use or not to use the ruler trick as long as people don't scare the beginners and others with their overthought ideals. Just KISS.

Simon
I don't like the use of the word "trick"....."technique" might be a better choice..The word "trick" reminds me of kids and halloween.....
Rolleyes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Tongue 
The problem is that some won't think the ruler trick is a technique, to them it is a gimmick. So if D.C. labelled it as a ruler technique, we'd just have another group of naysayers.

Tip? Woodworkers being woodworkers, they'd insist it's just a trick!!!

Sharp is sharp but some fanatics would insist it's a rocket science matter...a post-doc subject.

Simon