Veritas shooting board - backing board problem

Recently picked up a veritas shooting board plane off Craigslist. It was unopened so I’m assuming this is how it came from LV. I notice the backing board does thot sit flush with the base. About 1/8” higher.  If I flip it end over end the. It does sit flush but having it in that configuration i can’t shoot boards at 45 degrees because the backing board sticks out too much. Not a huge problem obviously since it’s easy enough to make another backing board but was just curious if this is how it normally comes from LV. And if so, why?

Attached Files Image(s)

Re: Veritas shooting board - backing board problem by Juss1 (Recently picked up a...)
Something is mounted wrong or drilled wrong. In addition to the gap, the fence should be flush with each side of the base.

Attached Files Image(s)

Re: Veritas shooting board - backing board problem by Juss1 (Recently picked up a...)
I can move it laterally and have it flush to sides now but I can’t move it down to make it flush with bottom. I’ll double check when I get home today if something is mounted wrong but I didn’t see anything originally.
Not a major deal to make your own board if need be
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I have always been under the impression that Lee Valley sells the shooting board and fence without the sacrificial extension.

The extension is user made.

Simon
Hi- 

As Simon notes, that fence is user made....not supplied with the shooting board..

Cheers, 

Rob