canless lights and the electrical code
There are a lot of led lights that go in a hole in the ceiling and have a remote junction box.  I see they sell brackets to attach the junction box to the light, but the standard installation is to attach the junction box to a nearby joist.  I'm curious if that is allowed by the code since the junction box isn't accessible without removing the light?
This was a topic of conversation on Mike Holt's forum.  If the light is UL listed, and the instructions say to insert the junction box in the hole and lay it on the sheetrock (in a retro fit or similar) it is allowed.  The UL listing takes into account the installation.

That was the unanimous opinion of the electricians that install them and the AHJ that commented.  This included the variance of having the junction box just laying in the cavity and not secured to structure.

That being said, my AHJ when inspecting my rough in, said he would prefer to see the boxes secured if possible, so I did.
I've put these things all over our house. Any junction box needs to be secured (NEC) whether it's in a wall, ceiling or out in the open. And it has to be accessible. I don't remember the brackets being available when I put them in but if I knew about them, I would have used them. If you mounted the junction box to the lamp, it would be just like any other can light with the J-Box mounted to it which would make it even more accessible. So no big deal. Mine are mounted to the joists because that's what was available.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I'm not sure the brackets are really available, they aren't in the store.  But they are mentioned in the instructions.

However, the product page doesn't reveal the existence of the brackets, at least not easily

https://www.cooperlighting.com/global/br...51emwr#ESS
I put in eight and they all had brackets included.
VH07V  
(06-06-2021, 12:43 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I put in eight and they all had brackets included.

what brand/light?

The junction boxes on these have a foot to easily attach to framing. It seems to me that they could easily change the design to make the junction boxes attach to the led panel, but it would probably only work on the 6" version. 

I will admit I bought these lights because they were less than $18 each. So it's no surprise they cut some corners.
These were Halo brand #HLB6099FS1EMWR.
VH07V  
(06-06-2021, 03:05 PM)EightFingers Wrote: These were Halo brand #HLB6099FS1EMWR.

I was looking at these exact lights to use in my basement workshop.  I just installed the framing for the ceiling ... it's ~7'7" due to having to run under the HVAC trunks.

Can you tell me if these are bright enough.  I see that you can adjust the warmth of the light and usually like to keep it around 4,000K to keep the light from being too blue.  I'm just wondering if the ~1000 Lumens per fixture would be enough if I put 12 cans in the ceiling (16 X 20 shop) or if I would have to add another row of 3.
(06-06-2021, 03:05 PM)EightFingers Wrote: These were Halo brand #HLB6099FS1EMWR.

Those are what I put in. Love em. But they didn't have the attachment to mount the J-Box.

I did learn something about LED dimmers... don't cheap out on the dimmers like I did. The better dimmers have much better control at the lower light levels. I wound up replacing the first couple dimmers.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

at $10 less per light, I think I would consider the lights I bought, 900 lumen.