How would you attach a granite piece to a table top
Hi,

About to start on a project where the client will be supplying a piece of granite (IIRC, 18" x 18" x 1.25".....wow that's gonna be heavy!).

She hasn't decided whether or not I'll inlay it (which would make the attachment easy) or have the piece be the entire top.  If she goes the latter route, how would you secure it to the base?   

Not even sure on the table height, drawers/no drawers, shelves/no shelves, etc so it is very early in the planning stage.
Dumber than I appear
My granite kitchen counters are just held in place by silicon adhesive (and their weight, I guess). I'd probably just use it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-04-2021, 01:22 PM)fredhargis Wrote: My granite kitchen counters are just held in place by silicon adhesive (and their weight, I guess). I'd probably just use it.

The only thing I'm concerned about is when they want to move the able around.  If they grab it just by the top, will the base stay attached?

(realizing that countertops never get moved so this isn't an issue).
Dumber than I appear
How about epoxying a piece of wood to the base of the granite and then attach the rest of the table to that.
(06-04-2021, 01:30 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: The only thing I'm concerned about is when they want to move the able around.  If they grab it just by the top, will the base stay attached?

(realizing that countertops never get moved so this isn't an issue).

I think so (key word being "think"), unless it's a really heavy frame under the granite. I base my guess on the removal of our old granite counters. They didnm't just pick them up, they had to be pried away from the cabinets.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Frame it with a moulding of some sort. Just lay the granite inside the moulding. A few dots of silicone sealant / adhesive will prevent the granite from falling out if you need to move the table.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
How can the piece be the entire top if its 18" square?  

As others have mentioned silicone adhesive is probably good enough. A wood base should stay attached if they move the table around by picking it up with the top.
(06-05-2021, 08:40 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: silicone adhesive is probably good enough. A wood base should stay attached if they move the table around by picking it up with the top.

Agreed this is the way to go with a small piece like this 18x18
Brick 
RTV silicone.  

Done.
I would just put anti-slide 3M Bumpons on the legs.  The weight will keep it in position.  

We made a plywood oversized "topper" for my sister's granite table.  It is wider and longer and accommodates a larger table cloth (which they don't use normally).  It will seat 2 more easily and the added width makes putting out a feast easier.  I recommend it.  We did not use bumpons for the top, we added cleats to the bottom to keep it from sliding around.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.