Sheartak Spiral Cutterhead for WOODMASTER 718 Planer
The head
Bit the bullet and ordered one... I bought 400 BF of curly Maple and thought it a good investment. Tired of straight knives. I am mostly dealing with figured wood these days...
The Woodmaster head would have been a couple hundred more... I bought another shaft as well...

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

The inserts are the "standard" or common size? They look like it but that would be one thing to be certain about.
The inserts are the same size as the Byrd inserts, I'm not sure they are interchangeable, but it will still be a nice addition to the Woodmaster.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The head comes with five extra cutters and screws. From what I have read I doubt that I will turn them three times. If I should need more there is always Sheartak at around 3.60 apiece The cutters for the Titan head are supposed to work as well. 15 x 15 x 2.5 mm - 4-edge - 8 Radius.
At Sheartak
At Amazon for 2.30
[Image: carbide-insert-knife-square-8r-dimension...1495488741]

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I wonder if the radius corners on that style prevent the lines that sometimes show up with a Shelix.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-06-2021, 01:45 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I wonder if the radius corners on that style prevent the lines that sometimes show up with a Shelix.

Could be. I bookmarked it, a head for my Jet JJP-12 is quite a bit less than the Byrd head, around a $150 or so.
It has already shipped and is due here today. I will be putting it together quickly and giving it a whirl... so to speak.
My Dewalt 733 was giving me problems which prompted all this. I ordered a Shop fox 15" planer with a spiral head.
When I was informed it would not be in till next year the vendor returned my money.
I went ahead and ordered 160.00 dollars in parts for the 733. The chains had a lot of slop in them and were skipping or binding under load.          
I also noticed some wear in the blocks that hold the feed and outfeed rollers. I ordered 4 of them, two new chains and two rollers. I also got a new set of knives in. I will put all that together today.
Well, I only got in about half the parts last week and was told the rest were on backorder. That's when I ordered the Sheartak. I have been wanting an indexed head.
As it is the rest of the parts for the 733 arrived yesterday.
So lots to do in the shop
Laugh  I will let you know how the Sheartak does.

Curly red oak, curly maple, and ambrosia maple
[Image: YlU_i5KLat7rKl6rWILkVp9icLoDjyArarLc77hn...authuser=0]

(06-06-2021, 05:43 AM)fredhargis Wrote: The inserts are the same size as the Byrd inserts, I'm not sure they are interchangeable, but it will still be a nice addition to the Woodmaster.

The Byrd inserts are a 100mm radius, these are 150mm so they are different but no much.

There are various quality levels of carbide, can make up some of the price difference.  I buy inserts from China and Tigra Germany, price difference is quite significant.  Can't speak to the quality difference.
[Image: gIqolsjX1TiehuxK5ZLntjJxzH83vbo-xPNRRpuf...authuser=0][Image: 0cW_YN_43f-x3cE-yt4yQpS5_PUo62zjZZH3e226...authuser=0]

It did a wonderful job no tear out at all. The chip collection is not as good now though. I'll take it though.

I see what you mean about the chip collection, that must be a real surprise. Did you notice the reduced noise?