Yard Sale Weekend
Ran from Thursday to Saturday...for me....some of the "goodies" picked...

2 different sales....the Mortise gauge was included in the $10 price for the Stanley No.5, Type 12.  Hammer was just a $1..needs new wedges( to replace the 3 nails)

$1 LED flashlight...just needed new batteries ( 2 C cell)

$1 Sherlock Holmes "Glass" and 3 mini knives...the Case is about 2-5/8" long in the handle...

Next day?

A worklight for over the grinder, sander station.   some Yankee tips, and a pair of wood handled Irwin screwdrivers  straight and a #3 Phillips..

$4.45 netted me this device..

Electric Jointer Plane?

With an adjustable mouth.  Had to go back out for a bit, shopping around for a 2" wide chipbreaker, as THIS one will not work..
Upset

Iron is from 2nd quarter of 1941, according to the stamp ( 241) on the back.   Found a replcement chipbreaker for a $1....and no shipping...other than a $1 can of COLD Diet Coke.   That Mortise gauge?

Stay tuned...for when it gets a good clean up..
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Mortise gauge?    Well, there is these 2 very sharp little pointy things..
Winkgrin

So, take this thing to the shop for a bit....sand the rough stuff  smooth...

They used two pins, riveted in place, to hold the head together...I also shined up all the Brass parts.   Ran the threaded rod all the way out, cleaned those threads, gave them a drop of 3in1 oil, and returned them into place..
Cool  

Both brass thumbscrews were shined up. 

Seems to use these brass pads to slide along.  
Confused

Oiled the rosewood up...rehab complete....not too bad for a "FREE" mortise gauge? May have the head on wrong?

Need to go out, and buy a package of handle wedges ( steel ones) to replace 3 nails...

Ya think?

Jack plane has issues...besides the wrong sized chipbreaker....

I think I can make do without the lateral lever.   The lever cap will get replaced, though..

I do have a 2" wide, non-brazed lever cap handy.    Rest of the plane is in good shape...3 patent dates, and a tall knob?  Bailey on the front porch, No. 5 on the back porch...

Small adjuster wheel?    Hmmmm...we'll see how things go...when the rehab starts in.   Base has zero cracks, though.   Just a $10 jack plane, with a Mortise gauge thrown in with it....
Cool

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Jack plane's turn today....had a few replacements ready..
Cool

A proper 2" wide chipbreaker, and its bolt.  The lever cap is also a replacement....

Looks better than this brazed up one? 

Got the frog off of the base, taken apart...tried to remove the clip, decided not to bother...

Frog cleaned up, given a spritz of gloss black paint.  Brass wheel might be too small IF this was a Type 12..

Under the frog was just plain nasty....wire brush to clean out.....Gave the base a spritz of the gloss black paint, once it was all cleaned up..

Sole took about...10 minutes to get done...

More replacements...had the wrong tops....T-12 had waisted tops, not solid cylinder ones.   Didn't like that messed up short rod, either.   Changed things out.

This took a bit....sand both surfaces free of the old glue, and so they will match back up...it was a fairly clean break....

Had an issue with the parts sliding in the glue...let it sit a day or three, and sand things til they blend together...test drive?

Did not take very long to flatten the back of the iron, and sharpen it....the are still 2 very small nicks to hone out, next session.   Making the chipbreaker mate up to the iron involved a hammer......Just a $10 Jack plane...
What did you use to break the frog free? I have a Sargent Autoset, and after many decades of hunting rust, I have finally found one I cannot break free!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
On this one...bolts were a tad stuck.....had a pair of Visegrip pliers added to the screwdriver, for added torque..... Have had to use a screwdriver blade between the base and the frog more than once....after the 2 frog bolts were out.   Even had to visegrip the frog adjuster bolt, once the frog was removed.  usually a soak in either PBlaster or just 3in1 oil does the trick.     Be sure to oil the threads, before you reinstall them.
PBlaster didn’t work (tried about a month ago), and that was a first! I might try some heavy duty rust removal techniques! I got the Autoset for a couple of bucks because it was so rusted (needed the sole for a non-rusted Autoset I have, that has a cracked sole).
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-08-2021, 04:15 AM)Tony Z Wrote: PBlaster didn’t work (tried about a month ago), and that was a first!  I might try some heavy duty rust removal techniques!  I got the Autoset for a couple of bucks because it was so rusted (needed the sole for a non-rusted Autoset I have, that has a cracked sole).

Take your butane torch to it, Tony....heat it up a little...
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-08-2021, 08:32 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......................
Take your butane torch to it, Tony....heat it up a little...
Winkgrin

Never had one this bad, Jack! Might try some heat on it.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-08-2021, 12:40 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Never had one this bad, Jack!  Might try some heat on it.

Couldn't hurt, Tony... heat works when penetrating oil wont!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-08-2021, 03:06 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................
Couldn't hurt, Tony... heat works when penetrating oil wont!!!
Big Grin

One should be careful when heating when the penetrating oil is still present, fire flash hazard, big surprise - - DAMHIKT.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis