Utility knife blades
Thumbs Up 
I have been using a utility knife a lot lately, primarily to cut up cardboard boxes. I've noticed a definite difference in various blade makes in terms of ability to retain an edge.  Stanley and DeWalt seem better than Irwin.  I have not tried other brands.  What do you fine folks recommend?
Thanks,
ronwhit
For me, Stanley. If you’re at Lowe’s, though, try their Craftsmen branded blades. Seem as good as Stanley, but cheaper. Do not like Irwin, Bostich or the ones on the blue and white container.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-12-2021, 11:17 AM)Tony Z Wrote: For me, Stanley.  If you’re at Lowe’s, though, try their Craftsmen branded blades.  Seem as good as Stanley, but cheaper.  Do not like Irwin, Bostich or the ones on the blue and white container.

FYI they have carbide edged utility blades now.  Good for abrasive gyp bd and cement bd.
WoodNET... the new safespace
It's bad, when you happened to go near a thumb, never feel a thing, until you see fresh DNA..

Knife and the blades came from Menard's..

Been using it to cut "knife walls" in Ash.....never felt a thing...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
This guy does a great job of comparing tools and other items. He did a comparison on utility blades https://youtu.be/711IWHCljVk
Well worth the elven minutes to watch.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(06-12-2021, 02:00 PM)bandit571 Wrote: It's bad, when you happened to go near a thumb, never feel a thing, until you see fresh DNA..

Knife and the blades came from Menard's..

Been using it to cut "knife walls" in Ash.....never felt a thing...

I also learned the hard way, hand was in front of the utility knife, cutting ceiling drywall, knife slipped, clean cut on the thumb to the bone, 10 stitches later at the ER.  I consciously think and never put my hand in the cutting direction....
As an aside, utility knife blades can be sharpened quicker than the time it takes to find a screwdriver, the blades and changing one. Few back and forth strokes, you’re good to go!
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-12-2021, 03:58 PM)Tony Z Wrote: As an aside, utility knife blades can be sharpened quicker than the time it takes to find a screwdriver, the blades and changing one.  Few back and forth strokes, you’re good to go!

Bingo!!!!!! Increase the bevel angle and the keen edge will stay sharp longer as well...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-12-2021, 03:58 PM)Tony Z Wrote: As an aside, utility knife blades can be sharpened quicker than the time it takes to find a screwdriver, the blades and changing one.  Few back and forth strokes, you’re good to go!

Unless you have the Milwaukee, with the magnetic holder and the quick button blade release. 
Smile
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(06-12-2021, 11:15 PM)Aram Wrote: Unless you have the Milwaukee, with the magnetic holder and the quick button blade release. 
Smile

For me, the old Stanley 199 and 299 fixed blade (I have about a dozen).

Nearly fifty years ago, when I served a carpenter apprenticeship, we were taught a fixed blade was safer than a retractable, as you always knew where the blade was on a fixed blade knife.
www.metaltech-pm.com