Utility knife blades
(06-12-2021, 02:38 PM)KyleD Wrote: This guy does a great job of comparing tools and other items. He did a comparison on utility blades https://youtu.be/711IWHCljVk
Well worth the elven minutes to watch.

Looks like from a price/performance perspective, Stanley blades are hard to beat. I've also touched up blades on a stone or emory sandpaper - works pretty good. 

I also took a trip to the ER many years ago due to a utility knife accident. Fortunately, a few stitches fixed it up.

Doug
Great replies, and helpful hints.  Many thanks.  Tony Z. mentions a fixed blade Stanley.  I think I have one in the workshop somewhere, along with its cool little metal lined holster.  Need to find it and try it out.
ronwhit
I bought one of those new? to me any way, Stanley Max. I like it, once I got used to it. I also have a lock-back Bessy, and I like it too. My first one, the #99 retractable Stanley is so old the aluminum is fully polished from wear. The newer models are better.
A man of foolish pursuits
(06-14-2021, 12:31 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I bought one of those new? to me any way, Stanley Max.  I like it, once I got used to it. I also have a lock-back Bessy, and I like it too. My first one, the #99 retractable Stanley is so old the aluminum is fully polished from wear. The newer models are better.

Noooooo! You want the older Stanley! The newer ones have some design change to the casting that makes the blade change more difficult!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
As I said, once I got used to it. You have to retract the blade all the way, loosen off the wheel all the way, then flip the cover apart at the arrow. Reset the blade holder, extent the holder, change the blade, retract the blade, and flip the  cover. Turn the wheel half way in. That 's a lot more steps than undoing the screw and changing the blade. In use by tightening the wheel, the blade get pretty rigid. But it has to be backed off half way to retract.

I got pretty use to blade changing recently. My wife's rock and gem club had to move their workshop from one rural community hall basement to another after the association folded. This time we turned a storage room that had been a coal bin into another workshop. Cleaning insulating and Drywalling. My partner explained that HD Olfa knives worked better for drywalling, easier to get a sharp blade and the long knife was better at trimming fuzz.  I'm 71 and he is a year older, so it was a bit of a chore for couple of old volunteer pharts.
A man of foolish pursuits
The carpenters I worked with used the same Red Devil type box cutter I had for HS grocery store boxboy work. It was efficient, less cumbersome than a folding pocket knife; and worked with wood for a straight edge for scoring gyp-board. I actually found one of my originals in the camping utensils can recently.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.