UPDATE torebuild/replace?
UPDATE:  Tore down two of them.  Bearings were good and smooth but the rubber cups that held the back of the armature in place (part of the "double insulated" engineering 
Rolleyes ) was soft and causing vibration.  Ereplacements has them for $2.60
Big Grin  Also discovered the grease in the gearbox was badly hardened so I'll add some 90 wt and put them back to work.
Wink

I have three Porter-Cable 7336 6" ROS that I picked up cheap years ago.  They've been my "go to" sander for years but have begun to vibrate a bunch so I figure bearings are shot.

ereplacements has sets for about $60/ set.

New sanders are about $140

I'm arguing with my cheap self that between parts cost, labor, frustration, hidden problems and not knowing what will go next it may be time to replace.

At least one of them
Rolleyes

Anyone been there, done that?
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-12-2021, 02:10 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I have three Porter-Cable 7336 6" ROS that I picked up cheap years ago.  They've been my "go to" sander for years but have begun to vibrate a bunch so I figure bearings are shot.

I'm arguing with my cheap self that between parts cost, labor, frustration, hidden problems and not knowing what will go next it may be time to replace.

At least one of them
Rolleyes

Laugh

I faced similar dilemma. I went to local bearing supplier and got replacement bearings for about $12 per machine. The only bearing needing replacement was on the oscillator/eccentric. The motor bearings were fine. Took less than hour to clean out the accumulated gunk and replace the bearings.
The sanders run like new even after several years use.
(06-12-2021, 02:10 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I have three Porter-Cable 7336 6" ROS that I picked up cheap years ago.  They've been my "go to" sander for years but have begun to vibrate a bunch so I figure bearings are shot.

At least one of them
Rolleyes

Laugh

I dunno how long 'years ago' is, but I'd be willing to bet the ones you have now are better made than new.
(06-12-2021, 03:57 PM)wpwoodworker Wrote: The only bearing needing replacement was on the oscillator/eccentric. The motor bearings were fine.

This is typical on most hand held vibrating sanders, random orbit or regular.
That little bearing takes a lot of guff compared to the motor bearings.

A possibility to keep in mind is that when a bearing gets noisy and close to failure, the aluminum bearing socket (housing) can wallow.  A new bearing will just slap around in its housing.  If the bearing pulls out easily, then the socket is likely worn. 
A solution to this is either replace the surrounding parts or use JB Weld.  I've found that JB Weld works great.  Clean the socket.  I like lacquer thinner for that.  Get out some paste wax and put it on the bearing.  That assumes the bearing is already on the shaft.  Buff the wax off slightly so there are no gobs.  Mix up a dab of JB Weld and smear it around inside the bearing socket where the bearing's outer perimeter seats.  Assemble and wait 24 hours for the epoxy to fully cure (even though it sets rather quickly).  Keep the surface where the epoxy was mixed so you can test it for rigidity.

This process also works for router bearings and other portable power tools that have an aluminum bearing housing.

Portable power tools with plastic bearing housings that have a worn bearing socket require the part to be replaced or the tool replaced with a better one.
I'm a cheap guy myself, I'd repair the sanders. As stated, the older ones are better than anything you get nowadays.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Okay -- I'll tear down the worst one and head for local bearing supply
Smile

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Sell em for parts and buy a good sander. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Power-Tools...B07WK42NC5

What the heck are you doing that you’ve worn out three sanders ?
(06-13-2021, 06:45 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Okay -- I'll tear down the worst one and head for local bearing supply
Smile

There ya go.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Glad you “fixed” em.

I’d still suggest giving a “good” sander a tryout to see what you’re missing. Less vibration, faster cutting , and  dust collection.  The Bosch has a 30day no questions return period lie Festool, so there’s not much to lose.
I'll keep that in mind, but $30 now will take care of my sanding needs for a while. 

If I ever get into a project that needs more sanding than I can do with those I'll look them over.

But I hate sanding
Rolleyes

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)