drop point utility knife blade
Why doe nobody make a drop point blade for utility knives? I carry a folding utility knife around and am always dulling or breaking the very tip. A drop point would work so much better and also make a good marking knife.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Next time you break a tip, you could try grinding the remains into a shape you like better. If it really does work better and you post it here, and others like the idea as well, someone might start manufacturing them. My guess is that nobody at present thinks they would sell.
(06-12-2021, 02:45 PM)KyleD Wrote: Why doe nobody make a drop point blade for utility knives? I carry a folding utility knife around and am always dulling or breaking the very tip. A drop point would work so much better and also make a good marking knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Tools-2-No...B000MWWQ9O

Not sure, but is this what you are looking for?
Do i have my blade terminology wrong? I am talking about a knife where the cutting edge at the tip sweeps up a little. It allows one to work with the cutting edge rather than the very tip when working on a horizontal surface..
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(06-13-2021, 07:42 AM)KyleD Wrote: Do i have my blade terminology wrong? I am talking about a knife where the cutting edge at the tip sweeps up a little. It allows one to work with the cutting edge rather than the very tip when working on a horizontal surface..

Is this what you are talking about?

The curve on the top of a drop-point blade is always convex, which is what distinguishes it from a clip point blade. The drop point is a common design for hunting.

Drop point - Wikipedia
See ya later,
Bill
(06-12-2021, 08:07 PM)bottd Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Better-Tools-2-No...B000MWWQ9O

Not sure, but is this what you are looking for?

That's a hook point.  What the OP describes is not a drop point either.  I don't know that the type of blade exists for utility knives, but X-Acto makes blades that are curved the way the OP describes.  Not suitable for heavy duty work, but definitely for paper and hobby type work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-12-2021, 02:45 PM)KyleD Wrote: Why doe nobody make a drop point blade for utility knives? I carry a folding utility knife around and am always dulling or breaking the very tip. A drop point would work so much better and also make a good marking knife.

am always dulling or breaking the very tip

Dulling occurs naturally as the blade is used...no knife is immune to it but some are better than others at holding a satisfactory edge...If you find that your knife dulls too quickly, try sharpening the bevel at a higher angle. It will produce a stronger {but less sharp} edge....Like most things in life..it's a "trade off"...give a little something to gain a little something...I make a lot of knives used for woodcarving and have never found a type of steel that meets every desirable specification...I have come close, but still no cigar!!!
Crazy
Big Grin

If you are breaking the very tip, you are using the knife the way it was not intended..you need a different tool..
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

This web page shows blade shape names.

https://agrussell.com/encyclopedia/blade-shapes

Dave
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!