cooling a greenhouse
My dad had his high pressure boiler license and we had 3 boilers.  In the summer we would cook the ground for 8 hrs a section that was 15 X 300 ft for each section.  Ours was the largest single owner greenhouse in Medina county Oh
My mechanic was able to buy a special furnace that burned used motor oil, which for him was free. 

He would end up using the heater and leaving the door to the office open so he could burn up as much oil as possible.  He had to pay to have the excess removed, so it was better to waste the heat. 

Only auto repair stations were allowed to use those furnaces in our area.  They require a special permit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-13-2021, 08:19 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Built a 12' X 8' greenhouse for LOML last year. having trouble keeping it cool. We live in SW Mo., the GH is a lean-to facing the west. We've installed a sunscreen on the roof and west face and a 10K BTU window AC. She grows microgreens so a mister unit can't be used (Ugh!). We have our eye on a used 24K window unit for a decent price. Any similar experiences with a possible solutions?   

Jim

Most use a shade *cloth*. Is that what you have?

Need to move a lot of air in a greenhouse.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Just an update. I've added a 10K BTU AC, did okay but not a complete job, I added an 18K BTU AC with 2 circulation fans. I installed an exhaust fan when I built it last year. Have to wait and see when the temps climb. I can only wait to see the electric bill. That's okay, when LOML spends money in the green house and garden I can usually get away with spending money in the shop 
Cool
Jim
It is very difficult to maintain a suitable temperature in the greenhouse. I grew tomatoes and cucumbers in a greenhouse a couple of times and I didn't have an air conditioner. I just opened the windows and arranged a draft and often watered. This saved my vegetables, but they are not so picky.

This year I made a greenhouse with flowers. They already needed good cooling and so I needed an air conditioner. I had an old air conditioner that I decided to install in the greenhouse, but I didn't know how to do it. Then I turned to the company https://www.socool.sg/pricing/. The employees came and installed an air conditioner for me, besides they carried out some minor work in cleaning and refueling. It turned out to be very convenient.
(06-14-2021, 03:43 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Most use a shade *cloth*. Is that what you have?

Need to move a lot of air in a greenhouse.

We've come to realize that we have a dark green shade cloth that probably will help changing to a lighter color. Since I installed the 18K AC the temp has been below normal. Go figure!
Jim
(06-23-2021, 07:50 AM)Oolacile Wrote: Do I hire someone to install Aircon for me?

I know how to build wooden frames, etc. for the AC. You might find someone locally to do it. Since I built the greenhouse I know exactly what I needed to do. The AC is heavy and I have my GS to help lift it into position
Jim
Do micro greens require a specific temperature and growing conditions? I've toured a bunch of greenhouses in my time as part of my job. I've never seen an air conditioner in any of them. But, none of those growers were growing micro greens. Many greenhouses are equipped with ventilation fans which pull cooler outside air through the building. Others are equipped with computer controlled vents at the top of the roof which open and close according to how warm it is.

Your space is only 12x8. Would some sort of ventilation fan be sufficient? It seems that an ac unit is overkill unless, of course, micro greens require specific growing conditions. Let us know what you decide to do.
(06-23-2021, 05:28 PM)dg152 Wrote: Do micro greens require a specific temperature and growing conditions?  I've toured a bunch of greenhouses in my time as part of my job.  I've never seen an air conditioner in any of them. But, none of those growers were growing micro greens.  Many greenhouses are equipped with ventilation fans which pull cooler outside air through the building.  Others are equipped with computer controlled vents at the top of the roof which open and close according to how warm it is.

Your space is only 12x8.  Would some sort of ventilation fan be sufficient?  It seems that an ac unit is overkill unless, of course, micro greens require specific growing conditions.  Let us know what you decide to do.

We have plenty of air circulation and exhaust. Originally I had 2 roof vents that worked on the wax principal, but leaked and didn't seem to help reduce the heat factor. I used poly carb panels on the roof and sides. We live SW Mo. so the temps & humidity can climb up pretty well. LOML tells me the ideal temp for microgreens is 75 - 90, 75-80 preferably. We can't use a mister be micros get there water from the bottom.
Jim
When we had the 25x50 g house, we always used a black fabric shade cloth. It really cut the heat down, then a 48" fan in one end, drawing air through.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020