cherry guitar
My grandson has picked out a pretty piece of cherry to make a guitar.  He has asked me to help him make it,.  He liked the look of the wood, but I doubt he will like it after the wood turns a little browner than the unfinished piece.
Is there any way we can make the finished solid body guitar look as red as possible?  Not beet red, but a warm red somewhat consistent with the freshly planed and sanded cherry wood?
My mother had some cherry end tables and they were sort of red.  That's more the color we are looking for.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Ray
(06-13-2021, 08:53 AM)falcon Wrote: My grandson has picked out a pretty piece of cherry to make a guitar.  He has asked me to help him make it,.  He liked the look of the wood, but I doubt he will like it after the wood turns a little browner than the unfinished piece.
Is there any way we can make the finished solid body guitar look as red as possible?  Not beet red, but a warm red somewhat consistent with the freshly planed and sanded cherry wood?
My mother had some cherry end tables and they were sort of red.  That's more the color we are looking for.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Ray

Cherry darkens with age.  You can dye or stain the freshly milled cherry to any color you want, just be aware that it will darken further with time.  If you want to make it red, take a look at Transtint Bright Red and/or Reddish Brown dye.  

John
(06-13-2021, 02:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Cherry darkens with age.  You can dye or stain the freshly milled cherry to any color you want, just be aware that it will darken further with time.  If you want to make it red, take a look at Transtint Bright Red and/or Reddish Brown dye.  

John

Thanks, John.  I'll look into it.  Sounds like it might be something that will work.
Several things I have tried with Cherry are Watco Fruitwood Danish oil followed by Waterlox original. That gives a warm color. Simpler is a couple coats of Amber shellac. THat is definitely a lighter color. Both leave a warm cherry color but not red.