Restoring Oliver 12” 189bd jointer
I am refreshing not really restoring an Oliver 12” jointer.  I wire brushed all of the loose paint (there was multiple layers),  removed to tables and smoothed the dovetailed up alittle.  I wasn’t trying to flattened or get into move than necessary without the proper straight edges and scrapers,  there were just some high spots that looked like someone had dinged it up prettying bad that would cause the table to bind.  Anyway,  I removed the far end cap and removed the old grease,  replaced and re-greased it.  I was to afraid of taking the motor side off so I just heavily greased.  It runs smooth but the end cap and around the motor seams to get warmer than I would think it should.  Anyone have any experience with this and have any idea where I could find a manual and parts diagram?
VintageMachinery.org has a manual for the 189. There isn't a lot to the manual though.  Only 2 pages.
Thank you for the direction,  I had found that already but was hoping that there was more out there.  I was really after a parts diagram or something similar to find bearings or at least a better idea of assembly/disassembly.   Like I said before thank you for the response, at least I dont feel bad for what little I found out there.
(06-14-2021, 12:07 AM)Shawn Stennett Wrote: Thank you for the direction,  I had found that already but was hoping that there was more out there.  I was really after a parts diagram or something similar to find bearings or at least a better idea of assembly/disassembly.   Like I said before thank you for the response, at least I dont feel bad for what little I found out there.

If you're not already a member, go over to owwm.org and join. Post this thread over there and you'll get "tons" of help from folks who've probably rebuilt these jointers, including the motors. 

Doug
This thread really needs some pictures.

Tyler
I haven’t posted here in quite a while,  I was really hoping that the site had been updated and I wouldn’t have to upload to photobucket or somewhere like that.
(06-16-2021, 11:44 AM)Shawn Stennett Wrote: I haven’t posted here in quite a while,  I was really hoping that the site had been updated and I wouldn’t have to upload to photobucket or somewhere like that.

You don't.  Once you click the Reply button, slide down below the Post New Reply screen to the Choose File button in the New Attachment box, just above the Preview/Post/Save as Draft buttons.  Upload to the site directly by picking the file off your computer, punching the Add Attachment button on the right side, put the cursor where you want the photo and hit the Insert Into Post button, then Preview to make sure it's right.  Doesn't get any easier than that.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"