Pine sap coming through stain.
Three years ago I made a small table out of 1x4 pine to set next to wife’s lawn chair for whatever she wanted to use it. She stained it the color she wanted. It sits outside in the summer and is stored indoors in the winter. I can scrape and sand the the sap away. How best can I keep it from coming back?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
You may not be able to stop it completely. I've had good luck with shellac on preventing it, but shellac is a very poor outdoor finish. My choice in this case would probably be a good oil based primer, and then paint.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-13-2021, 08:10 PM)stoppy Wrote: Three years ago I made a small table out of 1x4 pine to set next to wife’s lawn chair for whatever she wanted to use it. She stained it the color she wanted. It sits outside in the summer and is stored indoors in the winter. I can scrape and sand the the sap away. How best can I keep it from coming back?

If it was air dried pine they say the sap never sets up.  I have a wooden screen door on the garage that bleeds sap every year.  Roly
(06-14-2021, 05:01 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You may not be able to stop it completely. I've had good luck with shellac on preventing it, but shellac is a very poor outdoor finish. My choice in this case would probably be a good oil based primer, and then paint.

Talked to the table's owner, she doesn't care about the sap only brought it up 'cuz son pointed it out, likes the color it is stained.  Problem solved. 
Big Grin
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(06-14-2021, 09:21 AM)stoppy Wrote: Talked to the table's owner, she doesn't care about the sap only brought it up 'cuz son pointed it out, likes the color it is stained.  Problem solved. 
Big Grin

FWIW, yard grade ( C and D ) pine from a kiln is normally "resin set" as a final stage. Setting the pitch (woodweb.com) Oil-based finish shares a common solvent - turpentine - so it won't block seep.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(06-14-2021, 09:21 AM)stoppy Wrote: Talked to the table's owner, she doesn't care about the sap only brought it up 'cuz son pointed it out, likes the color it is stained.  Problem solved. 
Big Grin

Reminds me of that old saying: "If you want to be happy with my performance, lower your expectations."
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
If under a paint, rubbing caulk over the knot will seal the spot.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy