What CBN Wheel
I can only afford 1 wheel for my grinder. I'm thinking 180 grit. What say you?
Jim
Stumpy nubs has great YouTube videos, to best answer this question.
Reach out to Ken at woodturning wonders. Very helpful

https://woodturnerswonders.com/pages/fre...-questions
(06-14-2021, 08:19 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I can only afford 1 wheel for my grinder. I'm thinking 180 grit. What say you?

(06-14-2021, 10:27 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Reach out to Ken at woodturning wonders. Very helpful

https://woodturnerswonders.com/pages/fre...-questions

+1 on talking to Ken.

If you are sharpening and not doing major changes to the tool shape, I would expect you to be happier with a 600grit. I definitely would not go coarser than 300.

My current grinder is set up with (IIRC) a 60 grit and a 1000 grit. The 60 grit is way to coarse. It even comes with a warning to not use it with a Wolverine jig to sharpen roughing gouges. The 1000 grit is probably a bit finer than I need for sharpening gouges but it is good on skews and okay on scrapers. (using the Wolverine grinder table in both cases. don't waste your money on the Wolverine skew sharpening accessory)
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-14-2021, 08:19 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I can only afford 1 wheel for my grinder. I'm thinking 180 grit. What say you?

Thanks everyone
Jim

I have 300 and 600, I find even 300 is very aggresive
(06-14-2021, 03:58 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks everyone

If only one wheel... it is recommended by Ken Rizza at woodworking wonders, to get a 180 grit. I believe that is darn good advice. Lathe tools off the 180 are just fine.
(06-18-2021, 11:24 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: If only one wheel... it is recommended by Ken Rizza at woodworking wonders, to get a 180 grit. I believe that is darn good advice. Lathe tools off the 180 are just fine.
yep..........180grit...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-22-2021, 01:24 AM)LauraHatson198 Wrote: Cool topic! I need more information about it

BAM !!
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]