Hand held grease gun
I need a hand operated grease gun to lube the fittings on my tractor and snow blower.  Seems like a simple request, but the two cheapies I've had lately simply don't last.  I'd prefer the type that takes the smaller three oz cartridges, if only for their ability to fit into tight spaces, but that is not a key requirement.  I don't find on-line reviews especially helpful as it seems leakage is a universal problem.  In an application like this, what has been your experience and what would you recommend?
Thanks,
ronwhit
there are several good quality grease guns, I like Lincoln & Lumax. When greasing the tractor I like a coupler that locks onto the zerk. Lumax makes a good one. sometimes it is hard to get the push on type coupler to stay on the zerk and you make a mess. The lock on coupler does make the hose end longer so it does not fit in tight spaces.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(06-14-2021, 12:01 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: ... I like a coupler that locks onto the zerk. Lumax makes a good one. sometimes it is hard to get the push on type coupler to stay on the zerk and you make a mess. The lock on coupler does make the hose end longer so it does not fit in tight spaces.

+1.

I've had a couple of the smaller guns; never could get them to work well.  The key is a good flexible hose that will allow you to reach into tight spaces.

I now use a couple of standard size guns; they're no-name guns.  One has red lithium grease for most stuff and the other is loaded with marine grease for the boat and boat trailer.  

I bought a set of locking couplers from Amazon that I put on one of the guns and it works well.

Hint:  Buy a selection of zerk fittings.  Those things do fail or get gunked up with debris; when that happens, it's easy to put in a new one.
Lincoln brand .........
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Be sure to wipe dirt and grease off zerk before using.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
" I like a coupler that locks onto the zerk. Lumax makes a good one. sometimes it is hard to get the push on type coupler to stay on the zerk and you make a mess. The lock on coupler does make the hose end longer so it does not fit in tight spaces."

I have one of these as well and highly recommend it.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Thanks for all of the inputs.  I have a Lumax LX-1152 on order along with a locking coupler.  I also have a supply of extra fittings.
My practice has been to slip a small length of rubber tubing over each fitting to keep out the dirt.  This works well, except the tubing loses its grip after awhile.   I remember once having a batch of colored plastic zerk fitting covers but can no longer find them available.  I tried three different auto parts store with no success.  What do you use, if anything?
Thanks,
ronwhit
I just wipe the end of the zirk off with a rag first. I'm sure that's not a perfect method.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Plus 1 on wiping the zerk
If you don’t you may push some grit into where you are greasing...
Always taught in aviation, wipe stuff down, especially if trying to find a leak...
Plus 2 on wiping the zerk, but only before adding grease; not after. Changing a grease cartridge is an easy task that is almost never easy for me. I know it should only require a clean gun, a fresh cartridge, and a minute or so, but something always goes wrong so I also need two rolls of paper towels. A 3 oz. cartridge would be fruitless for me.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"