Molding plane video
bandit57 Wrote:Did anybody see, that there is an "appliance" he use in the bench's vise.....

Flat board, with a second piece at 90 degrees to it...second piece is gripped by the bench's vise....Left end of the first piece, there is a block, fixed in place.....the right end has a movable block...the second block is a bit wedge shaped....a couple whacks with his mallet is enough to wedge the plane body firmly into place. He can then loose the wedge with a whack or two, to free the plane body...when he is done.

kind of thought so.....
Apparently that was a fairly common appliance for plane makers...that fixture is actually why i bought the book I mentioned previously.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(06-19-2021, 04:20 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Did anybody see, that there is an "appliance" he use in the bench's vise.....

I think everybody saw the appliance. 

What I was referring, in answer to Adam's question, was the section starting at 7:04 where Norman Bayliss works the plane in the vise without a fixture>

Did you miss that?
yep, watched the entire video, rather than cherry picked some parts.
....as I have done the same thing, while making an edge plane.....and rehabbing over wood bodied planes....

But, since I've only been working with wood since about 1968, or 1969....I seem to be a mere rookie....
Uhoh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(06-20-2021, 08:28 AM)bandit571 Wrote: yep, watched the entire video, rather than cherry picked some parts.
....as I have done the same thing, while making an edge plane.....and rehabbing over wood bodied planes....

But, since I've only been working with wood since about 1968, or 1969....I seem to be a mere rookie....
Uhoh

Yer still a kid, Steve! I first sliced my thumb with a chisel at least a half dozen years before that! Dear old, now departed dad said “now maybe you’ll listen to how I told you to hold that”.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony Z Wrote:Yer still a kid, Steve! I first sliced my thumb with a chisel at least a half dozen years before that! Dear old, now departed dad said “now maybe you’ll listen to how I told you to hold that”.
Negative reinforcement as an educational technique DOES work!
Big Grin
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp