Bosch Sliding CMS Initial Review
I have this saw mostly mounted in my table after modifying it and got a chance to use it a bit.

Pros:
So far, I think this is a good saw. Everything that moves does so smoothly and everything seems nice and tight. The fence was square with the blade in the detent out of the box. The tilt indicators needed adjustment, but that is expected.

It seems to have plenty of power for the 2x4s and plywood test pieces I've cut. The factory blade isn't terrible, but I put a Freud on it that I already had.

The deck seems flat and true. It was pretty easy to get it to fit right in my table. The mounting holes and feet are placed well.

The table angle adjustment works well and allows 60 degrees in one direction. My table won't let it go that far, but it will go to 45 in either direction, which is enough for me. The 60 degree side lets you fold up the saw in a fairly tight package for transport.

The adjustable throat plate is a nice touch. I plan on making some zero clearance inserts, but it is still nice.

Assembly is very minimal out of the box. Blade changes are very simple. No excuses for me not cleaning it once in a while.

Cons:

I'll preface the cons by saying that this doesn't really make it a good portable saw. I went into this knowing about these and had always planned to have it permanently in a table. I have a portable CMS on a stand for trim and construction work.

It is heavy for sure. Don't try to lift it without folding it into the 60 degree position. This makes it manageable for me, but I'm a pretty big guy.

The dust collection is a joke. Just looking at it showed me that. It's not an issue for me because I have two 4" ports in the back of the area with the saw. With those ports and the hose, it does fine.

No laser. It seems weird that they wouldn't have one. Since they are quite useful. But my table has the Kreg system, so I can get away without it. The laser in my old saw had a dead battery for six months. I kind of forgot it had one.

The dust extractor fitting is proprietary. I just run a 2.5" hose off of the wye for it, so I have it fit over the fitting and clamped.

The head tilt is a little weird, but I don't see myself using it that much for this saw. A 12" sliding CMS seems a bit unweildy to use for trim anyway.

Initial conclusions:
I'm happy so far because I knew what I was getting into. For my application of a fixed position saw with good DC and a measuring/stop system, it works great. It would not make a good portable saw, especially if you needed to keep the dust down and wanted to use only an extractor. If you need a portable CMS that has lasers and good dust control, a Kapex might be abetter choice.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I agree with everything that you said in your review. So much so that I bought the 10" Hitachi to use as my portable saw. I seldom use the Bosch and when I need to make a bevel cut, I need to read the instructions on the saw.

Thank you for the review. It is much appreciated.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
"I agree with everything that you said in your review. So much so that I bought the 10" Hitachi to use as my portable saw."

I would probably do something similar if needed. I still have my craftsman 10" from 2001. It works fine except it has no laser. But my portable work is limited to my own home improvement.
My review would be a little different.

Mine had a lot of slop in the indexing lever. Plus, I'm not too thrill about the fact it is plastic. Nothing like the slotted metal on a DW when it "clicks" its solid as a rock.

I've tightened the pivot bolt 3 different times, maybe the last one was the charm.

Also, I am not happy with the amount of slop in the arbor. On a sliding cut, it seems to reflect in the straightness of the cut.

Owner of 2 other brands & the DC on the Bosch is better than any of them.

I also bought a Metabo 10" for my portable.
Mmmmm. What model# saw did you get?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Congratulations on the Bosch, Linc! I never use the laser on my Kapex, and my Milwaukee doesn't have one, so I suspect you will be fine.

My Milwaukee is every bit as miserable to lift as your Bosch, and with its patented dust distribution system, it never leaves its corner of the garage. But as a 12 inch slider, it plows through construction lumber like butter, and I can bash it carelessly handled 4x4 fence posts and not have an aneurysm like I would with my Kapex.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(06-18-2021, 11:57 AM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Congratulations on the Bosch, Linc!  I never use the laser on my Kapex, and my Milwaukee doesn't have one, so I suspect you will be fine.

My Milwaukee is every bit as miserable to lift as your Bosch, and with its patented dust distribution system, it never leaves its corner of the garage. But as a 12 inch slider, it plows through construction lumber like butter, and I can bash it carelessly handled 4x4 fence posts and not have an aneurysm like I would with my Kapex.

With the measuring system in place, it will be fine.  The batteries for the laser in my old saw were dead for months.  I had forgotten it had one.  I posted the old one for sale, but I might move it to portable construction duty and sell the 10" saw instead.  The stand I have is universal.  A Ridgid saw on a Kobalt stand is sure to make some marketing folks cry.
Everything is all done. I got got my saw station reconfigured (I wasn't going to rebuild it with current material costs). I reattached the fences for the measuring system and applied new adhesive tape measure since this saw's base is a little bit wider.

I also added some adjustable feet to the table so I can get everything true and level. So far, so good.

(06-17-2021, 04:53 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Mmmmm. What model# saw did you get?

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

"What model# saw did you get?"

GCM12SD