subpanel for minisplits
(06-24-2021, 02:39 PM)EricU Wrote: The easiest way to get the cable from one end of the house to the other is through the chase they made when they put a soffit around the I beam that holds up the house.  It seems like if I just run it down that chase, it will be protected and supported.  Anyone want to speculate if they will make me fasten it to the I beam?  I think it wouldn't be much of a problem to cut into the drywall periodically and clamp it to the web of the beam, but I don't know that I see a reason to do that.

I'm not sure if they blocked it, so I might try running my fish tape down the beam

It's common to snake cabling, and uncommon to have to support and guard it.  It's up to the code authority in the end, so I would probably ask first, but it's likely you can snake it along the beam and just leave it at that, supporting it wherever it's actually exposed.

300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage

(D) Cables and Raceways Parallel to Framing Members

and Furring Strips.  In both exposed and concealed
locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is
installed parallel to framing members, such as joists,
rafters, or studs, or is installed parallel to furring strips, the
cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the
nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less
than 32 mm (11⁄4 in.) from the nearest edge of the framing
member or furring strips where nails or screws are likely to
penetrate. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the
cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by
nails or screws by a steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent at least
1.6 mm (1⁄16 in.) thick.

Exception No. 1: Steel plates, sleeves, or the equivalent
shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate
metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical
metallic tubing.

Exception No. 2: For concealed work in finished buildings,
or finished panels for prefabricated buildings where
such supporting is impracticable, it shall be permissible to
fish the cables between access points.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-24-2021, 03:12 PM)TDKPE Wrote: It's common to snake cabling, and uncommon to have to support and guard it.  It's up to the code authority in the end, so I would probably ask first, but it's likely you can snake it along the beam and just leave it at that, supporting it wherever it's actually exposed.

300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage

Exception No. 2: For concealed work in finished buildings,
or finished panels for prefabricated buildings where
such supporting is impracticable, it shall be permissible to
fish the cables between access points.
Does this mean it's o.k. to snake romex behind vinyl siding and up the corner post? Not that I know anyone that would do it, but I did notice a new flood light on the other end of the house.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-25-2021, 12:45 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Does this mean it's o.k. to snake romex behind vinyl siding and up the corner post? Not that I know anyone that would do it, but I did notice a new flood light on the other end of the house.

Most would consider anything outside as a wet location so romex would not be allowed.

Wrt uf or thwn , not sure if an AHJ would consider 0.046" vinyl as adequate protection from damage.  

If an AHJ were to consider the corner post as a raceway, it would need to be labeled for that use, it is not.

But then... I have seen worse.