Hardwood flooring in many rooms
I'd like to install solid hardwood flooring in the second floor of my house.  It has carpet now. There are four bedrooms joined by a hallway.  The thought of installing the flooring as one continuous layout may not be the best choice given the fact that it may take me a while to get it done and I expect some complaints from my better half.  Instead I am considering doing it room by room with transition strips between each room and the hallway.  That way I can get each room done without having every room torn up at the same time.  I believe that the preferred way of installing the floor is to have it run seamlessly between rooms with no transition strips.  But it would make it much more manageable for me to do it room by room.  Any opinions on the pros and cons here?
One way to do seamless flooring from room to room is to make sure the rooms are square and parallel to each other room.

Another way is to start with a common hall/area and simply move into each room from that common hall/area. 

When I installed hard maple flooring in out present house, the only places I used transition strips was when changing flooring board orientation or between tile/wood seams. The living room, hall, and three bedrooms are all seamless and transition strip free.
(06-16-2021, 08:43 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: One way to do seamless flooring from room to room is to make sure the rooms are square and parallel to each other room.

Another way is to start with a common hall/area and simply move into each room from that common hall/area. 

When I installed hard maple flooring in out present house, the only places I used transition strips was when changing flooring board orientation or between tile/wood seams. The living room, hall, and three bedrooms are all seamless and transition strip free.

I suggest get prices for install and finishing. They can do it alot faster and saves the back and knees. Remember you do not want to be the richest guy in the cemetery as they say. There are times pros can do better.
John T.
(06-16-2021, 08:43 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: One way to do seamless flooring from room to room is to make sure the rooms are square and parallel to each other room.

I did continuos, with the bedrooms last.  Stopped at the threshhold of both bedrooms and did then them later.   Also made a 'transition' spline so I could put groove to groove and change the nailing direction going into the bedrooms.

Older I get the more often I'd agree with what JT said, but I'd do it myself again if I had somebody working with me to cut, or nail while I cut.
(06-17-2021, 01:03 AM)KC Wrote: I did continuos, with the bedrooms last.  Stopped at the threshhold of both bedrooms and did then them later.   Also made a 'transition' spline so I could put groove to groove and change the nailing direction going into the bedrooms.

Older I get the more often I'd agree with what JT said, but I'd do it myself again if I had somebody working with me to cut, or nail while I cut.

Funny I did the living and dining rooms of a couple of houses and down the halls to the bedrooms.  I stopped at the doors allowing me to swap out the carpet in each room as needed.  These are rentals that previously had carpet continuously creating the need to replace all the rooms instead of the one in need
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

If there was carpet originally, you are going to want to put in thresholds at all the doorways or the doors will be too short.  It would look like you are wearing your younger brother's pants. 

The threshold will be the transition.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-17-2021, 07:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: If there was carpet originally, you are going to want to put in thresholds at all the doorways or the doors will be too short.  It would look like you are wearing your younger brother's pants. 

The threshold will be the transition.

Is the threshold you are referring to called a T molding?  This is what I was thinking of doing.  How tall should this molding be?  And, yes the entire floor is carpeted now.  I would be going from carpet to 3/4 inch hardwood.

And to some of the others who suggested I just hire this out.  I hear you.  But I have two teenage boys who need to learn how to do things - and need something to keep them busy this summer.
This is an example of a threshold: 

[Image: netti_kynnys-kyntteellinen-valkolakattu.jpg]
Thresholds are typically 4 - 6 inches wide and can be made from wood, laminate or stone.  If you use stone, it clearly does not have to match the wood.  Marble or granite are typically used.

In my house the thresholds to the bathrooms are marble.  The other thresholds are oak.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I just helped a guy with this.  We did the hallway first.  We did our best to make sure the floor was centered in the hallway.  We then went into one room at a time.  One room we did change the direction of the floor because we thought the boards should go lengthwise with the room - we made a transition piece with the flooring - basically put a grove on both sides and ran the flooring into it.  Turned out nice.  The other 2 rooms we ran the flooring the same direction as the hallway - no transition piece.  I really liked the flow of the floor.  It meant to have the first rows in the middle of the room but they make splines just for that.  Since there was two of us it went pretty quickly.  When I left his wife helped.  It took use a week to get it all done - including the closets.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(06-17-2021, 10:24 AM)Cooler Wrote: This is an example of a threshold: 

[Image: netti_kynnys-kyntteellinen-valkolakattu.jpg]
Thresholds are typically 4 - 6 inches wide and can be made from wood, laminate or stone.  If you use stone, it clearly does not have to match the wood.  Marble or granite are typically used.

In my house the thresholds to the bathrooms are marble.  The other thresholds are oak.

This is a nice looking threshold.  No light coming in under this door.  It gives it a nice finished look.  Can I ask how high it is?  And how how can you go before it might be a tripping hazard?