Bath exhaust fan??
Trying to decide weather to put the bath exhaust fan on 2 switches, one for fan and one for light. Right now I have switch for light over medicine cabinet and one for the light by the shower. The light by the shower will become an exhaust fan on remodel. What do you all do???? I know this is not one of those life changing decisions but it is a decision non the less that needs to be made. Household is split 50/50
John T.
Can you run a new 2- or 3-wire cable to the shower light?  Since it’s a remodel, presumably you can do a little drywall work, and/or go up into the attic (if there is one) to run a new cable.  That way you can control the light and fan separately.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-19-2021, 09:48 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Can you run a new 2- or 3-wire cable to the shower light?  Since it’s a remodel, presumably you can do a little drywall work, and/or go up into the attic (if there is one) to run a new cable.  That way you can control the light and fan separately.

Oh yes easy to get to from attic. I would run a 2 wire. So you say go with 2 switches??  The reason this is coming up is now there will be 3 switches and a GFCI on the side wall when you walk in. I will gang all switches together starting with the vanity and then the shower light and finally the fan. The Gfci will be spaced over some separately.
John T.
Prefer separate, and timer.
I had my builder do this in our master shower.  The fan on one switch and the light on a separate with a dimmer.  My wife likes light ... I shower in the dark.  I don't like feeling like french fries under a heat lamp.
I like to have a switch for the light and a timer for the fan so it can run for a bit after. I read somewhere that if it's a rental, tie them together to ensure the fan is run. Makes sense to me. Not sure what code says.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(06-19-2021, 09:41 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Trying to decide weather to put the bath exhaust fan on 2 switches, one for fan and one for light. Right now I have switch for light over medicine cabinet and one for the light by the shower. The light by the shower will become an exhaust fan on remodel. What do you all do???? I know this is not one of those life changing decisions but it is a decision non the less that needs to be made. Household is split 50/50

Don't you realize you have 51% ??

Regards, 
Bill B
(07-11-2021, 05:35 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Don't you realize you have 51% ??

Regards, 
Bill B

You are so right Bill
John T.
Except for the expense, the whole house bath fan wins all.

They are quiet, require only on exhaust port through the roof and can be run full time to minimize moisture in the home. 

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-CVS4...gKVifD_BwE

But they cost more ($270.00 for the central exhaust fan, plus ducting from all the bathrooms to the fan).

But even the quietest exhaust fans are noisy, the remote will be perfectly quiet.  It is the classy way to deal with bathroom exhaust fans. 

There are also heat exchange versions that minimize heat loss as a result of exhausting the air.  Those can cost $700.00 or more plus venting.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Quote:But even the quietest exhaust fans are noisy, the remote will be perfectly quiet. 

This is simply untrue in some / many cases.

First, moving air makes noise - even a remote fan isn't perfectly quiet

2nd , designing a balanced whole house system is not all that easy and is beyond the budget of most new and remodeled homes.   Moreso if you want to add humidity, or motion sensors or timers.  

A $200 Panasonic bath fan is pretty much in reach of anyone considering a bath fan.  That gets you .3 sones.  If you only have a hundred $ + lunch you'll ahve to deal with .8 sones.    These are much quieter than your "standard" quiet bath fans.   The vast majority of people are not going to say either of these are "noisy"

At my city home, I have a fantech remote exhaust fan in a steam shower and a panasonic recessed can light/fan over a bathtub next to it.  The fantech is a smidge louder.  The pany isn't even their most quiet model.   So, it all depends on the the specific equipment chosen as well as how it's implemented into a given site's conditions.

To say or infer a remote fan is always quieter than a stand alone bath fan is simply poor advice.