building permit for ethernet cabling
I was looking at information on how to get a permit for the subpanel project I'm planning.  I was a bit surprised they want you to pull a permit to pull ethernet cable.  That's not the NEC, is it?  Trying to figure out how to hide all those ethernet wires in the closet with the existing subpanel
Smile
(06-22-2021, 08:31 PM)EricU Wrote: I was looking at information on how to get a permit for the subpanel project I'm planning.  I was a bit surprised they want you to pull a permit to pull ethernet cable.  That's not the NEC, is it?  Trying to figure out how to hide all those ethernet wires in the closet with the existing subpanel
Smile

It is low voltage wiring. They probably want to make sure you do not mix it with regular house wiring. As well as not putting it in heating ducts unless it is Plenum rated. Dan
Will this permit cost you anything?

I would start looking there, when I was looking for a reason for the permit.  (HINT:  revenue)  
Smirk
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I was thinking they were worried about creating a shock/fire hazard.  Probably more aimed at large commercial installations and I just get caught up in it.  In the past, I think they would just ignore lots of stuff, but all of a sudden our little rural community is awash with skyscrapers so they might have changed how they do things.

As far as revenue goes, I don't think the $100 is going to break them. Probably not even a concern at the government level, and for the code enforcement guys, they get paid no matter what. I imagine they will just ignore it if they see it, like most unpermitted work.
I might look for forgiveness later than permission now.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
I think the concerns around that are making sure that low voltage cabling like that is not run in a conduit with A/C electrical wires and that plenum rated wire is used if run in plenum space.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
what is the issue with them being in the same conduit?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(06-27-2021, 01:30 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: what is the issue with them being in the same conduit?

It’s a code violation, but I don’t have a copy handy and can’t cite the paragraph.  AC, DC, and different voltages* have to be physically isolated, as well as electrically of course.

You also wouldn’t want to have Ethernet or other data cabling running tight to and parallel with AC building wiring for interference reasons, but that’s not something I know anything about other than it’s bad to do it.

*120V nominal to ground would include 240V in a 120/240V split-phase system, of course, since each leg is 120V to ground.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I highly recommend building in an unzoned township...
i figured it was code, but is there a reason for the code. Are they afraid if they get a mix of wires someone might connect them wrong? A damaged wire allowing feed into the low voltage?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy