building permit for ethernet cabling
Why worry about it, just do it correctly.

No way in heck I'd pull a permit for something like that.
(06-27-2021, 01:30 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: what is the issue with them being in the same conduit?

Besides being a code violation if you run ethernet parallel with std voltage wire you will get a lot of interference and have connectivity problems. If your ethernet has to cross power do it at a 90deg cross and keep them as sperate as possible.

There is no way in he77 I would get a permit to run ethernet...its a revenue grab plain and simple. What is the benefit of having it "permitted" resale? We just sold our house that had an unpermitted basement and had 0 issues. Buyers inspector did his thing and called out a couple piddly issues (to validate his fee) and we were off.
Ahh, let's see, I have to make a trip to the bathroom but my permit has expired. Must have exceeded my allotted number of flushes.  MY TP may not meet code either and not environmentally friendly.  $$$  Nothing like living in the country.  Bill B
How does this outlet fit into that concept?

https://www.amazon.com/CERTICABLE-POWER-...B01N5W6L95

CERTICABLE 110V Power Outlet + HDMI 1.4 + CAT 6 RJ45 ETHERNET Wall Plate + Wall Box Set
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-06-2021, 03:42 AM)iclark Wrote: How does this outlet fit into that concept?

https://www.amazon.com/CERTICABLE-POWER-...B01N5W6L95

CERTICABLE 110V Power Outlet + HDMI 1.4 + CAT 6 RJ45 ETHERNET Wall Plate + Wall Box Set

From the description:
  • POWER DIVIDER BETWEEN THE POWER & THE DATA
If there's a physical wall between them, you can put them in the same box, though I've only seen that done on larger boxes.  Like the 2-gang I installed in my kitchen wall over the secretary counter, with power and phone.  The plastic box has a barrier.

Looks something like this.

Arlington Industries Arlington LVDR2 2-Gang Combo Electrical/Low-Voltage Box, Black, 1-Pack - - Amazon.com

Madison Electric Products MSBMMT2G 2 Gang Multi Mount Device Box with Depth Adjustable, Heavy Duty 42lb, Gray: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I'm guessing the one in the link has a horizontal barrier that's not shown.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Permits for stuff you can do to code yourself in your own house. Kept your door closed when doing it!
Don't think the permit or code person's will be able to get access to your house. 
Just be sure you know what your doing and do it to code.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
This one made my head explode ( I got better ).  In a large metro area, someone was wiring for their CNC mill and the inspector wanted to see a UL stamp on the mill before he would pass the wiring.
(07-28-2021, 06:02 PM)EricU Wrote: This one made my head explode ( I got better ).  In a large metro area, someone was wiring for their CNC mill and the inspector wanted to see a UL stamp on the mill before he would pass the wiring.

Used to go through this before I retired from the field. It is in the NEC  that all equipment be listed. The wiring could be fine but the job held up because the equipment you hooked up.
How much does it cost to get an engineer to sign off on a machine?  I have more money than I want to admit in my cnc mill, but I wouldn't want to pay to get someone to sign off on it.
Pretty upsetting to see the inspector show up and approve a job without even looking at it.