Workshop Plans
Question 
There is a very distinct possibility that I will need to build a new shop, probably by the end of the year.  I hate to do this now with the INSANE prices of lumber but I might not have a choice.

Are there any software programs out there that would help me lay things out?

Right not, my shop is 28' x 24'.  So about the size of a two car garage.  Obviously, I would want it bigger and was thinking about 30' x 70' overall, with the shop being 30x60 and a 10 or 12 foot storage area on the end.  I do not really need lumber storage because I already have a building for that. 

Some will say, the bigger the better and I totally get that but I also believe that a shop can be too big to be able to work efficiently and minimize the amounts of steps taken during a project.

I am thinking about maybe doing a pole barn construction with spray foam on the walls and a good amount of insulation in the ceiling. 
I would rather have an elevated wood floor instead of a concrete floor.  First, I could make the floor height approximately the height of my tailgate to aid in getting projects out and secondly, a wood floor is easier on the feet and knees.

Any and ALL input will be appreciated.
Hi
Mine is 24 x 26, works for me, other need more, I understand. Roof is metal.
I did stud frame construction, a monolithic pour for the concrete floor, with re-bar.
4 foot man door.
Rock wool insulation for the walls, spray foam for the ceiling.
Then I did 1/2 inch plywood for the walls.
Stays warm in winter cool in the summer with one heater.
"Are there any software programs out there that would help me lay things out?

I use sketchpad, but I have models for the old school version. I messed with it for a while with mine, but didn't go the route I had planned.

"Right not, my shop is 28' x 24'. So about the size of a two car garage. Obviously, I would want it bigger and was thinking about 30' x 70' overall, with the shop being 30x60 and a 10 or 12 foot storage area on the end. I do not really need lumber storage because I already have a building for that."

That would be a good size. Mine is 30x56 and I have automotive tools, my pickup, and tractor in there as well. The woodshed portion normally occupies the back 24x30 portion of the shop, but I don't store a lot of projects. Lumber storage is high on the walls since I have 14' side walls. I have most items on wheels and a couple things move occasionally as needed. Larger is always better, but it's what I could afford. If I stay long enough, my size upgrade would be a separate two car garage to park the pickup and tractor, or maybe a barn that could hold the tractor. Full disclosure, I'm a hobbiest.

"Some will say, the bigger the better and I totally get that but I also believe that a shop can be too big to be able to work efficiently and minimize the amounts of steps taken during a project."

I think clustering things together helps this. More steps would be better for me since I have a desk job.
Big Grin

"I am thinking about maybe doing a pole barn construction with spray foam on the walls and a good amount of insulation in the ceiling."

Mine is a pole barn with spray foam and the attic is open. It works very well. If I wanted to go super insulated, I would frame the walls, insulate, and put up OSB or metal. I probably should have painted the spray foam before moving in, but I was impatient.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(06-22-2021, 09:47 PM)iublue Wrote: There is a very distinct possibility that I will need to build a new shop, probably by the end of the year.  I hate to do this now with the INSANE prices of lumber but I might not have a choice.

Right not, my shop is 28' x 24'.  So about the size of a two car garage.  Obviously, I would want it bigger and was thinking about 30' x 70' overall, with the shop being 30x60 and a 10 or 12 foot storage area on the end.  I do not really need lumber storage because I already have a building for that. 

Some will say, the bigger the better and I totally get that but I also believe that a shop can be too big to be able to work efficiently and minimize the amounts of steps taken during a project.

I am thinking about maybe doing a pole barn construction with spray foam on the walls and a good amount of insulation in the ceiling. 
I would rather have an elevated wood floor instead of a concrete floor.  First, I could make the floor height approximately the height of my tailgate to aid in getting projects out and secondly, a wood floor is easier on the feet and knees.

You're in central IN, correct? If you go with a pole barn do you have a crew lined up? My neighbor just had a pole barn built and it was less expensive than I would have guessed. Hit me up on my email (my username@yahoo.com) if you want me to find out the name of the company or get more details about the neighbors building. I think they were out of Greensburg. Not sure how booked up they are, etc. but it looks like they did good work and like I said, it wasn't as much as I would have guessed.
Some possible considerations for the new build:

1) will there be a sink (likely laundry sink) for washing things (paint brushes, shop apron, you after a really dusty day)?
2) will there be a half-bath? how does your spouse feel about your tromping in through the rain to use the toilet when you are covered in sawdust?
3) separate room (with acoustic insulation in interior wall(s) for dust collector and air compressor
4) finishing room (so that you do not have to wait days between woodworking and applying finish)
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-23-2021, 01:09 PM)iclark Wrote: Some possible considerations for the new build:

1) will there be a sink (likely laundry sink) for washing things (paint brushes, shop apron, you after a really dusty day)?
2) will there be a half-bath? how does your spouse feel about your tromping in through the rain to use the toilet when you are covered in sawdust?
3) separate room (with acoustic insulation in interior wall(s) for dust collector and air compressor
4) finishing room (so that you do not have to wait days between woodworking and applying finish)

While one and two would be great, the property that I would build on does not have access to a sewer system and a septic system would be too expensive to install.  I believe that there are toilets that use gas to incinerate the waste but I have no idea of the cost and efficacy of such devices.

A definite yes on three and four.  The only thing about three is that I would either have to put a sensor on the DC or put a patio style glass door on the room to be able to visually see the DC.

Thanks to all for the replies.
(06-22-2021, 10:34 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: You're in central IN, correct? If you go with a pole barn do you have a crew lined up? My neighbor just had a pole barn built and it was less expensive than I would have guessed. Hit me up on my email (my username@yahoo.com) if you want me to find out the name of the company or get more details about the neighbors building. I think they were out of Greensburg. Not sure how booked up they are, etc. but it looks like they did good work and like I said, it wasn't as much as I would have guessed.

I sent you an email.
(06-22-2021, 09:47 PM)iublue Wrote: There is a very distinct possibility that I will need to build a new shop, probably by the end of the year.  I hate to do this now with the INSANE prices of lumber but I might not have a choice.

Bigger is always better IMO. My shop is 24'x30' and is the basement portion of an addition to our home several years ago - it does the job. I have a large shop sink, plenty of power and a bathroom nearby. The floor is concrete but this past winter I installed laminate flooring (bought it on a fire sale at Home Depot a few years ago). Wish I had done this years earlier - great on the feet and easy to keep clean.

The walls are insulated and I finished them with drywall, another preference, rather than wood or sheeting of some sort; painted them white and with good lighting the area is plenty bright enough. I use lamps picked up at garage and state sales for task lighting. Also repurposed wall cabinets from our old kitchen for additional storage. Two winters ago I built in a 15' set of base cabinets with drawers (25 in all) in an alcove area which has greatly enhanced the utility of the entire shop. The countertop has been extremely useful.

Probably more than you wanted to know but it works for me. I believe there is a workshop layout program on the Grizzly web site; might be helpful to get started.

Good luck,

Doug
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. Except I don't really see the need to elevate the floor. I offload onto my rolling assembly table if needed and go from there. I have a friend who went with a pole barn and metal siding he said it was cheaper, but, an all metal building goes up in 1/2 the time and is easier to frame out.

Some thoughts:

+1 on spray foam. Another friend of mine did that to his shop said his electric bill never goes over $75 (30 x40 in FL running AC at 69°)

That is a very big shop, but not knowing what machines or type of work you do, its hard to say. For cabinet work like a kitchen, the space is nice. OTOH f you mainly building one-off pieces or furniture, you can end up doing a lot of walking.

In addition, a compact design make for more efficient dust collection system.

It's also very nice to have a dedicated finishing room.

Dedicated electric service? Climate controlled?

I think its very handy to have lumber storage room within the shop, its going to happen any LOL.

I'm going through the same process myself, except I have to tear down the existing shop. The thought of the interior build out, electrics, DC, moving machines sends shivers up by 65 year old spine.