Peg Board or Alternative
In past shops I've had peg boards to mount various tools and accessories on the wall. I found them handy but somewhat cumbersome. I have a couple of wall spaces in my shop that could be candidates for this kind of storage. In the past the biggest complaint was getting the tools on and off the hooks. The hooks/fasteners tended to swivel and/or fall off the wall quite a bit. 

Not having done this in many years is there now a better system? Are there better alternatives these days to peg boards? Suggestions and pics welcome of solutions that have worked for you.

Thanks,

Doug
(06-23-2021, 01:02 AM)Tapper Wrote: In past shops I've had peg boards to mount various tools and accessories on the wall. I found them handy but somewhat cumbersome. I have a couple of wall spaces in my shop that could be candidates for this kind of storage. In the past the biggest complaint was getting the tools on and off the hooks. The hooks/fasteners tended to swivel and/or fall off the wall quite a bit. 

Not having done this in many years is there now a better system? Are there better alternatives these days to peg boards? Suggestions and pics welcome of solutions that have worked for you.

Thanks,

Doug

I've got several steel 'pegboards'.  Obviously the holes stand up to use better.  My only gripe about the ones I have is that the mounting holes aren't 16" OC.  Something closer to 15-12".  

Linky
Doug,
Here's the solution  Locks the hooks to the board, easy to install, easy to remove to reposition hooks. Holds the hooks in place.

g

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I had peg board in my shop for years and hated it. I finally put up a solid wood wall and use stainless steel screw-in hooks from, Lee Valley and I'm much happier with the arrangement. Here's a link to the Lee Valley hardware catalog with the hooks I use. Scroll down to find them. They come in several configurations and many sizes. They look like large cup hooks.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/har...oks/page-2

It's not as convenient for rearranging tools, but it's not bad. I've rearranged mine many times. I just plug the holes with a sliver of wood and slice the peg flush with a chisel. The plug is almost invisible. The hooks are securely attached to the wall and never accidentally come loose. Additionally, custom racks and brackets are easy to make and attach to the wall with screws. Here's a photo:

[Image: 51265848926_6d108cf9b2_k.jpg]F5A6771A-B25D-4E72-A9D5-A7AB4834A52C by Hank Knight, on Flickr
I use all 1/4” pegs, usually from McMaster-Carr or U-Line. Stay in pretty well, the cheap stuff drives me crazy.
Earl
Never really been a peg board fan.
I really like what Hank did, solid wood walls and screw in hooks.
That’s why I went with 1/2” plywood on my walls.
Put a dab of hot melt glue on your hooks when you insert them in the peg board. It will hold the hooks in place but you can still remove them if you waht to.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
I have some pegboard—for certain tools it’s a good solution.
I’ll have to try the hot melt glue.

I take a zip tie, snake it through the pair of holes around the hook to keep them from popping out.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Some good tips, suggestions and recommendations - thanks to all thus far! For those who use the peg board hardware with the larger 3/16" or 1/4" shafts, do these sizes make the clips more stable and less likely to fall out of the holes when installing or removing items?

Doug
Despise them.

I keep my tools in drawers. Throw 'em in there, done.

Maybe its b/c peg boards made my shop look organized........