The Old Stanley Bailey # 7 got a workout
I have been working on a new bench for the shop and yesterday was flattening day, the old Stanley 7 did great work!

[Image: IMG-0934.jpg]

I will be glad to get this built, it is wearing me out!  I should have built this when I was younger
Smile
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(06-23-2021, 07:20 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: I will be glad to get this built, it is wearing me out!  I should have built this when I was younger
Smile

I hear you! I have some thoughts this way, although it feels like preaching to the choir:

1. Don't save the fun stuff for retirement. Do it all early, then work til you drop. But ... see #3 for consequences.

2. If the fun stuff is your work, try to make it look miserable. Someone is sure to point out errors in your life otherwise.

3. This one is close to me. We have unlimited ambitions, and they are certain to damage our leisure.

4. Ummm, I forgot the rest..

Oh, BTW, that's an outstanding chunk of wood. I would want to rassle' it onto my kitchen counter.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Cant be too much work.........there is nothinng on the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've thought about building a new bench (I have wonderful memories of the first build).  Your top is so gorgous, it might hard for me to use it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Didn’t you have an awesome bench before or is this just a stylistic change?

- andy
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
(06-28-2021, 04:16 PM)identity_crisis Wrote: Didn’t you have an awesome bench before or is this just a stylistic change?

- andy

Andy,

In the line of work I am in (Senior Pastor) you can get voted out of your job, and there were a couple of times that we thought that might happen, and when those times came we downsized so if we had to move we wouldn't have so much to move.  Yes, I had a really nice bench that I made out of Doug fir and Cian and I installed the vise hardware.  But now I currently have a Slab Top bench (Slab came from IKEA) with a 2x4 base, it is functional, but the bench I am building now has always been my dream bench.  I was gifted the Hard Maple so I decided to build it.  

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I understand- i have sold off many beloved tools while in a pinch to keep things afloat. Looking forward to seeing your new bench.
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII