Blue Spruce Optima dovetail chisels?
Does anyone have experience with Blue Spruce Optima chisels, especially the dovetail ones? "Anyone" probably meaning Derek... 
Winkgrin
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Aram, I have not heard of these referred to as Optima before now. When did this begin? I know them simply as dovetail chisels.

[Image: 4.jpg]

This is taken from my recent Underbench Cabinet build …

The lower tray house Blue Spruce dovetail/detail chisels. This was the first set of premium chisels I purchased. Dave Jeske had just begun making them, and I was one of the first to order. In fact, the 3/4" (which is the largest size here) was the first made. I asked Dave for a 3/4". He had made 2, one for another order, and sent me the spare. I sent it back. His idea at the time was to make the steel thicker as the chisels became wider, and the one he sent was 3/16" thick. It felt heavy and clumsy. I requested 1/8", and that is what he then made for me.

My one concern about the chisels, prior to purchase, was that they are A2 steel, and that, for paring, a 30 degree bevel might not be ideal. Then it dawned on me that all the Japanese chisels I had were 30 degrees ... These blades get very sharp. They do not hold an edge as long as PM-V11, and need to be honed more frequently. But that does not detract from the absolute pleasure in using them.

These are light blades in beautiful African Blackwood handles. Sized 1/8", 3/16" and up to 3/4". There are two 1/4" skew chisels. I nagged Dave to make a fishtail, but he was skeptical there was an advantage over the skews (there is indeed a big advantage when cleaning out socket corners). Later he did make them, and I chanced on a sale of tools at a deceased estate in Oz. They had not been used, which brought me some sadness for the previous owner. 

The BS are a pleasure to use. Light, nimble, stronger than they appear (used with gentle taps from a plastic-headed hammer). They sharpen up to a razor edge, have never chipped, and simply require sensible use as they are not for heavy work, but the gentle art of joinery in smaller pieces.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(06-23-2021, 06:56 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Aram, I have not heard of these referred to as Optima before now. When did this begin? I know them simply as dovetail chisels.

Derek

Hi Derek, Thanks, I had read that write-up previously. I think the Optima chisels are new.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
A little more polishing and new marketing is all the difference I see.

I'm glad Derek got Dave to make the fishtails. Those were the first ones I bought from them with Afzelia burl handles from stock I had.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(06-23-2021, 10:34 PM)SteveS Wrote: A little more polishing and new marketing is all the difference I see.

I'm glad Derek got Dave to make the fishtails. Those were the first ones I bought from them with Afzelia burl handles from stock I had.

Agreed.  When I read about "Optima" I see the same handles, same ferrules, same steel, and same bevel angle.  The only thing that's changed that I can tell is getting them with flatter backs.  Several years ago, Dave Jeske sold Blue Spruce to Woodpeckers.  Dave still works, but I think they wanted to take advantage of some of the machining capabilities and higher capacity at Woodpeckers.  I think when Lee Valley released their PM-V11 chisels, it probably put a bit of a dent in the Blue Spruce lineup.  Blue Spruce makes top notch chisels for sure.  I have a set of his paring chisels and I love them.  But there's more competition out there and consumers today seem to be more cost conscious than they were 10 years ago.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill