"Curb" Palm
Got a "curb" palm this week.  Best guess is Windmill Palm.  The largest piece is about 18" in diamator.  From videos on-line, I gather a lot of palms are not good for turning.  Anyone here have experience?  Do I need to remove the pith (it is not evident)?  Do I need to seal the ends?

All advice appreciated!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I’ve turned some coconut palm. It was like a bundle of very sharp splinters. There was a very tough outside layer about an inch thick and the interior was quite soft.
It turned, but required a lot of sanding. There were no “rings” like regular wood.
Did have a nice pattern to it though.
VH07V  
Thanks EightFingers.  This palm is opposit of yours.  The layer just under outer surface (close to an inch) is very soft.  The rest is fairly firm; almost as hard as white pine.
Sounds like yours would be much better for turning. I don’t turn coconut anymore unless someone requests it.

Do you have a picture of yours?
VH07V  
(07-02-2021, 03:28 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Sounds like yours would be much better for turning. I don’t turn coconut anymore unless someone requests it.

Do you have a picture of yours?

I have used Red Palm for a carving knife handle....Very "splintery" and not very attractive either. I won't be using it again.
No
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

No pictures yet.