Sharpening Question
I purchased a Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System 4 Piece Set and a CBN wheel. The only problem is that when I go to sharpen my gouge it keeps 
kicking back and gives me grieve. Should the wheels turn top to bottom or is there a way to reverse the spin? 
Upset
Jim
Wheels should turn top to bottom. I'm not very knowledgeable but have never experienced this. Can you post a pic with the gouge in place as though you are sharpening but without the grinder running?

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Sounds like the wheel is off center.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-26-2021, 01:43 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I purchased a Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System 4 Piece Set and a CBN wheel. The only problem is that when I go to sharpen my gouge it keeps 
kicking back and gives me grieve. Should the wheels turn top to bottom or is there a way to reverse the spin? 
Upset

Since I'm fairly new to WT a gentleman from my local WT club came over and straightened me out. I was trying trying to use the grinding jig w/o having the Vari-Grind accessory. He got me going the right way. He also helped me with some turning issues. He's quit patient with me. 
Cool He also showed me how to sharpen free hand until I get the accessory.
Jim
(06-27-2021, 08:21 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Since I'm fairly new to WT a gentleman from my local WT club came over and straightened me out. I was trying trying to use the grinding jig w/o having the Vari-Grind accessory. He got me going the right way. He also helped me with some turning issues. He's quit patient with me. 

That freehand technique he taught, using the existing contour/bevel as reference will remove less metal and get you a renewed edge faster, so you can get back to work.  Diamond hones, and slips are even easier on that expensive metal but renew edges fine. 

Save the pattern grinding for the few times you find something embedded which chips the tool.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(06-26-2021, 01:43 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I purchased a Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System 4 Piece Set and a CBN wheel. The only problem is that when I go to sharpen my gouge it keeps 
Upset

4-piece set is usually 2 bases, the V-arm, and the adjustable flat tool rest.

The V-arm without the fingernail jig is used for sharpening roughing gouges. You blacken the the bevel of the roughing gouge and then tweak in the v-arm so that it shows a clean strip the full height of the bevel. You do that with the grinder off and turning the wheel by hand.

If it is kicking back, only the sharp edge is touching the wheel (or the wheel is out of round as suggested above).

Also, the v-arm should not be used with 60grit wheels.

What grit wheel are you using? Did you use the necessary spacers to get the distance between the center of the grinder's axle and the v-arm?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-27-2021, 08:21 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Since I'm fairly new to WT a gentleman from my local WT club came over and straightened me out. I was trying trying to use the grinding jig w/o having the Vari-Grind accessory. He got me going the right way. He also helped me with some turning issues. He's quit patient with me. 

Jim,
You've found the best answer to your question. Your local club is an awesome resource!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone