Saw Vice
Ran through the local Peddlers mall to look for a piece of plywood for a project. Saw a Wentworth saw vice in one of the booths. Rusty, but looked complete and the jaws looked straight. I think it would clean up nicely.  

Whats the word on these vices?  Who has one and uses it? Is it worth getting and rehabbing?  Asking price is $48.  

I do have some saws that will need sharpened soon, if not now. 

[Image: fCyg5sb.jpg]
Megan Fitzpatrick inherited Chris Schwarz's Wentworth saw vise when Chris upgraded his to the Gramercy model. Chris wasn't particularly impressed with it, but he must have liked it enough, because that's what he used until he got the Gramercy.

Her review here:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw...-saw-vise/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Have a Wentworth No. 1......and use it....

Although.....I merely spent $10 on mine......

had just finished sharpening these 2 saws....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(06-27-2021, 04:25 PM)Scoony Wrote: Ran through the local Peddlers mall to look for a piece of plywood for a project. Saw a Wentworth saw vice in one of the booths. Rusty, but looked complete and the jaws looked straight. I think it would clean up nicely.  

Whats the word on these vices?  Who has one and uses it? Is it worth getting and rehabbing?  Asking price is $48.  

I do have some saws that will need sharpened soon, if not now. 

[Image: fCyg5sb.jpg]

Although I collected a few iron saw vises, including a Disston D4(?),  none of them really seemed up to the task anymore.  Finding a secure way to mount them was the main problem, but also the thumbscrews seemed rather crudely executed, so actually using these iron vises was a challenge.  The vise from Grammercy seems to be well done, but I opted for making my saw vise from baltic birch plywood and it just fits between the twin screws of my front vise, or it works nicely in a Workmate.  The wood vice really dampens the annoying screech of the files, and I have to move most saws just once or twice to be able file the portion of the tooth line that lies within the grip of the jaws.  When I visited Lie-Nielsen, their saw makers used this same vise design.  If you look up Tom Lie-Nielsen's saw filing video, he use this vise in it.  You can build one for $20.
$48.00 is pretty pricey! I've seen quite a few (flea markets) for $5 to $10 and even at that price, there are not many takers.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I agree with Tony that the price is very high for that condition. J
I'm in line with Mike's comments.    For my serious saw sharpening, I use adaptations to put the saw into wood jaws at my sturdy workbench or in my Workmate.

I do have a pretty nice iron saw-vice similar to the one that the OP depicted, but I mainly use it for putting a filed bevel on a couple of quick/cheap scrapers I use.   It does permit quite a bit of bevel angle on my file.

Chris
Chris
(06-28-2021, 01:12 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I agree with Tony that the price is very high for that condition. J
TOO MUCH paid 5 for mine
south vietnam war collage
I don’t I paid more than $5 for any of the half dozen I have EXCEPT for the one I bought from Tools for Working Wood (Gramercy), which is very nice!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks all. Going to pass on it.

I actually made a few backsaws years ago and had made a wooden saw vice to shape and sharpen the teeth. Can't recall what I did with that vice, but don't think I have it anymore.