Vinyl moulding instead of caulk?
We installed a tub surround a few years ago, getting tired of the mould in the caulk. I was thinking of using vinyl cove moulding with a waterproof adhesive like Gorilla (non-expanding). Anyone see any problems with this idea?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
In my mind the molding will be too large in profile.  My tub would not have enough room for the 1/4 round. 

I might cut a 45 degree angle cut on a plank and expose the prefinished edge.  That would give better run-off of the water and you can adjust the size to suit.

As for how well it will work, I have no idea.

Revising my thoughts on this.  This product is specific to your problem:

[Image: AKedOLSBTQsUkD9nKg5SnEpmYk99akcC-I4cEgX1...ffff-no-rj]
670 subscribers
Seal-A-Crack waterproof adhesive sealer is the ideal solution to get rid once and for all of those dark residues around the Tub & Wall. Seal-A-Crack can also be used to prevent water from infiltrating around your tub and wall. Unlike caulking, an adhesive tape like Seal-A-Crack is very easy to apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSj1YrmKboQ
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-28-2021, 08:14 AM)Cooler Wrote: In my mind the molding will be too large in profile.  My tub would not have enough room for the 1/4 round. 

I might cut a 45 degree angle cut on a plank and expose the prefinished edge.  That would give better run-off of the water and you can adjust the size to suit.

As for how well it will work, I have no idea.

Revising my thoughts on this.  This product is specific to your problem:

[Image: AKedOLSBTQsUkD9nKg5SnEpmYk99akcC-I4cEgX1...ffff-no-rj]
670 subscribers
Seal-A-Crack waterproof adhesive sealer is the ideal solution to get rid once and for all of those dark residues around the Tub & Wall. Seal-A-Crack can also be used to prevent water from infiltrating around your tub and wall. Unlike caulking, an adhesive tape like Seal-A-Crack is very easy to apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSj1YrmKboQ

Interesting, will see if I can find it. I noticed there were other, similar, products available, most a vinyl adhesive tape that does the same thing.

Thanks
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Not sure how your particular tub and surround are made but if the tub flange is high, it might not need any caulk at all. But if it does need caulk, you might wind up caulking the adhesive backed molding... or wish you did
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-28-2021, 11:19 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not sure how your particular tub and surround are made but if the tub flange is high, it might not need any caulk at all. But if it does need caulk, you might wind up caulking the adhesive backed molding... or wish you did

I've been looking at the reviews for the tape-backed products like Cooler suggested, the reviews aren't good. Most of them say the tape gives out anywhere from 3 months to 5 years, the more textured the surface the quicker it gives.

My current thought is PVC quarter-round with something like a non-expanding Gorilla Glue. It's moisture rated, with a 2-hour clamp time, 24-hour cure time. The clamping can be achieved by taping the PVC to the surround.
Mike

(06-27-2021, 05:09 PM)Scouter Wrote: We installed a tub surround a few years ago, getting tired of the mould in the caulk. I was thinking of using vinyl cove moulding with a waterproof adhesive like Gorilla (non-expanding). Anyone see any problems with this idea?

I've had a lot of tubs over the years, and don't know that I ever had a problem with mold in the caulk.  I'd have to wonder if there's a problem beind the caulk causing the mold?  Also never had much luck getting a 'clean' finish with anything other than GE Kitchen and Bath caulk.
(06-28-2021, 02:14 PM)KC Wrote: I've had a lot of tubs over the years, and don't know that I ever had a problem with mold in the caulk.  I'd have to wonder if there's a problem beind the caulk causing the mold?  Also never had much luck getting a 'clean' finish with anything other than GE Kitchen and Bath caulk.

Cheap caulk

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Look into Lexel All weather, GE Advanced Silicon, GE Max Shield

... Kizar Sosay

(06-28-2021, 02:14 PM)KC Wrote: I've had a lot of tubs over the years, and don't know that I ever had a problem with mold in the caulk.  I'd have to wonder if there's a problem beind the caulk causing the mold?  Also never had much luck getting a 'clean' finish with anything other than GE Kitchen and Bath caulk.

It is usually caused by taking too long for the water to dry after a shower.  Leaving the shower door or curtain open will allow the water to dry much faster and will go a long way to eliminating this problem.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-29-2021, 07:46 AM)Cooler Wrote: It is usually caused by taking too long for the water to dry after a shower.  Leaving the shower door or curtain open will allow the water to dry much faster and will go a long way to eliminating this problem.

/\ This too..

Most exhaust fans are to small and most people turn off the fan when leaving the bathroom. Fans on timers are a good thing. Some of the newer fans have a built in humidistat and come on when the humidity is high. BROAN iirc. The downside is you can't turn them on manually... sometimes that's a polite thing to do.

... Kizar Sosay