Vinyl moulding instead of caulk?
(06-29-2021, 12:13 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: /\ This too..

Most exhaust fans are to small and most people turn off the fan when leaving the bathroom. Fans on timers are a good thing. Some of the newer fans have a built in humidistat and come on when the humidity is high. BROAN iirc.   The downside is you can't turn them on manually... sometimes that's a polite thing to do.

We do leave the doors open and the fan on for a minimum of 1/2 hr. Because of how the wiring was run between the switch and the fan a sensing fan isn't possible, at least the ones I've looked at that have the sensor in the switch and not the fan itself.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle is effective in killing mold--but slowly.  It will take a week or more of daily spraying to do the job.  The nice part about the peroxide is:

1.  Perfectly safe to use.
2.  Little or no odor
3.  Cheap
4.  The peroxide I buy has a screw cap that matches the sprayers, so I mount the sprayer directly onto the peroxide bottle.
5.  No goggles, or gloves required.

The downside is.

1.  Slow.
2.  Slow.
3.  Slow.

It is really only good as a maintenance product, not as a remedial one. 

Clorox works OK and is much faster, but not as safe to use.

Swimming pool shock is immediately effective but horribly strong smelling.  Causes my eyes to tear, and is pretty toxic.  Especially, wear gloves and goggles.  But fast, fast, fast.  Use with care.  I mixed a batch and used a paint brush to apply.  It kills the mold in minutes and you can then wash it off.  But treat this stuff with care.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-30-2021, 07:40 AM)Cooler Wrote: Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle is effective in killing mold--but slowly.  It will take a week or more of daily spraying to do the job.  The nice part about the peroxide is:

1.  Perfectly safe to use.
2.  Little or no odor
3.  Cheap
4.  The peroxide I buy has a screw cap that matches the sprayers, so I mount the sprayer directly onto the peroxide bottle.
5.  No goggles, or gloves required.

The downside is.

1.  Slow.
2.  Slow.
3.  Slow.

It is really only good as a maintenance product, not as a remedial one. 

Clorox works OK and is much faster, but not as safe to use.

Swimming pool shock is immediately effective but horribly strong smelling.  Causes my eyes to tear, and is pretty toxic.  Especially, wear gloves and goggles.  But fast, fast, fast.  Use with care.  I mixed a batch and used a paint brush to apply.  It kills the mold in minutes and you can then wash it off.  But treat this stuff with care.

Thanks. I've tried a bunch of stuff, but once it gets into the caulk I haven't found anything that works, even bleach.

I have decided to give caulk one more shot. I found a GE product that "promises" 10 year protection. I seriously doubt it, but I'm going to give it a shot.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I took a couple good classes to get a mold inspection certification. Probably the biggest thing I learned is that mold only needs 2 things to grow.. Food and Water. It will eat just about anything organic, even jet fuel. It loves the fillers in caulk. Since we can't control the food sources, we can only control the moisture level. That's all we really need to know about mold prevention. Get things dry and it can't grow,
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-28-2021, 08:14 AM)Cooler Wrote: In my mind the molding will be too large in profile.  My tub would not have enough room for the 1/4 round. 

I might cut a 45 degree angle cut on a plank and expose the prefinished edge.  That would give better run-off of the water and you can adjust the size to suit.

As for how well it will work, I have no idea.

Revising my thoughts on this.  This product is specific to your problem:

[Image: AKedOLSBTQsUkD9nKg5SnEpmYk99akcC-I4cEgX1...ffff-no-rj]
670 subscribers
Seal-A-Crack waterproof adhesive sealer is the ideal solution to get rid once and for all of those dark residues around the Tub & Wall. Seal-A-Crack can also be used to prevent water from infiltrating around your tub and wall. Unlike caulking, an adhesive tape like Seal-A-Crack is very easy to apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSj1YrmKboQ

Very odd company. I contacted them to ask where I can purchase their Seal-a-Crack products, they wanted part numbers, which I couldn't find anywhere on their site. I sent them the YouTube video link to show them what I was asking about, never heard back from them. You'd think they'd be interested in making sales.
Mike