Another Porch Decking ???
(06-29-2021, 08:52 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Just did a porch and deck. Considered ipe, cumaru, cedar but ended up with PVC. Too bad you would have to paint the Aeratis, one of our decision factors was the maintenance factor. Some of the better PVC deck boards look terrific.

Should you go with plastic/PVC couple things to keep in mind. Unlike wood it expands along the length, not width. Your joists need to be dead flat as unevenness does telegraph through to the decking.

I agree on the maintenance issues. But even with talking with a salesperson at Aeratis, she recommended the paintgrade over the pre-colored because of looks. Said that the prepainted ( it comes in 3 colors) does not look as good. The Traditions comes with the highest grade paint adhesion, there is certainly going to be the need to repaint, thus the maintenance does increase.  I am willing to do this if it does look the best but that is iffy.
Cypress is very soft — it’s rather rot resistant but probably not for your application as decking.
It does really well as vertical siding and it’s wonderful indoors.

I use SYP for a deck less than 15” off the ground and I finally had to replace things after 20 years.
However, if you’re buying pine labeled SYP and it’s not really—it’s not tight-grained—forget about it!
The fast-growth, wide-ring stuff is about useless.

I would look for Red Mangaris.
When on vacation in San Diego, I helped my son-in-law build a perimeter fence around his property.
The Red Mangaris is beautiful, durable and was reasonably priced.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.