Another Porch Decking ???
Afternoon!

Trying to plan to redo our covered porch here in North Carolina.  It is a 120 home with the current boards being old growth pine with many coats of paint.  Actually have 80% of the decking already removed.   But trying to decide which way to go.   Also of relevance.....I need to use a Tongue & Groove product; under the porch is connected to the crawlspace under the house. 

We are literally one house removed from our Town's Historic Board which is awesome for many reasons.   

I have looked at so many different products that I'm dizzy.   Currently looking at these;

Aeratis Traditions which is the only synthetic our Historic Board allows.  But also comes with the highest price tag, about 20% higher. And still needs to be painted once installed.  About 8K.   (it is a big wrap around porch) Only has a 10 year warranty.   Love the idea of not having a board rot.....not crazy about using plastic. 

I can get a Douglas fir product from OR that would be more tradional.  I would consider using a BreadBoard end and not go with exposed T&G ends.  6K

I looked at Thermory and other related products. The beautiful chocolate color is enticing. It doesn't stay that way without a good bit of oiling and really in this setting / way wet, humid and just a foot or two off of the ground, I am unsure of how sound that 25 year warranty will be.   6K

Cypress.  This would need to be painted/sealed. Worry about splitting ends. 5K

IPE.......darn, I don't want IPE.......5-6K

SYP PT.  3K.  This is the least favorite option because it will not last. 

Anyway, if anyone has an opinion (hahah, right??), I would love to read what you think.  

Thanks for reading.
Ok, if the deck/floor is above ground, why not use SYP PT? Just curious. No ground contact. I would think that it would last a long time. I would otherwise go with Cypress.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(06-28-2021, 04:35 PM)museumguy Wrote: Ok, if the deck/floor is above ground, why not use SYP PT? Just curious. No ground contact. I would think that it would last a long time. I would otherwise go with Cypress.

The majority of the porch is only about 15" off the ground and gets plenty of rain on the first few feet of porch all the way around, even though covered. The SYP fixes that were In place have not lasted very long.   Traditionally the ends are exposed to see the T&G.  I could breadboard the SYP to help protect the ends a bit more.   I am just gun-shy to use something that will rot the fastest. 

Just got an updated cost on the synthetic aeratis, 6.4K .  

Haven't worked with the Cypress before but not opposed. 

Thanks.
Cypress would be there about forever....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What about black locust? You might have to have it delivered freight and that should be part of your cost consideration, but there are sources online that do that. When I last looked, it was a bit cheaper than ipe. And it should last a long time in the weather, comparable to ipe. I plan to use it when I get around to redoing my deck, which is very much needed at this point.

Tyler
(06-28-2021, 07:32 PM)OneStaple Wrote: What about black locust? You might have to have it delivered freight and that should be part of your cost consideration, but there are sources online that do that. When I last looked, it was a bit cheaper than ipe. And it should last a long time in the weather, comparable to ipe. I plan to use it when I get around to redoing my deck, which is very much needed at this point.

Tyler

Tyler,

Forgot to add that one to the list. There is a supplier about 2 hours from me. Their cost was about 6K. The problem was not being able to guarantee the correct lengths. The porch boards run from the house out and dammit, I need 8'9".  

Thanks for the reminder.
I've seen aluminum decking used on TV, but not in "real life".  Aluminum should outlast any other decking material I've seen. And it has the advantage (for me) in being lightweight.  Easily cut with a  non-ferrous carbide blade, it is guaranteed to be flat and straight and will not distort in high heat.  It is over 40 times as strong as composite.  I don't have any idea of the cost, however.

http://www.nexaninc.com/products/decking...gK94_D_BwE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We put on a new 500 SF deck, in 2013, just outside Nashville, (so climate is probably similar to yours).
I used SYP-PT, total waste of time and money.
I stained it twice, in the first 4 years, to protect it.
Some of it is so rotten, I'm afraid someone will fall through.
It looks awful. I'm in the process of taking it up, and replacing it with composite.
That is becoming a miserable job, as I used Deckmate screws, with the torx heads.
The heads are jammed with stain, and dirt, and very difficult to get the driver bit to grab.
Though recommended for PT, the screws are rusted badly.
PT wood is not what it used to be.
At least, that's my opinion.
Good luck
Just did a porch and deck. Considered ipe, cumaru, cedar but ended up with PVC. Too bad you would have to paint the Aeratis, one of our decision factors was the maintenance factor. Some of the better PVC deck boards look terrific.

Should you go with plastic/PVC couple things to keep in mind. Unlike wood it expands along the length, not width. Your joists need to be dead flat as unevenness does telegraph through to the decking.
(06-28-2021, 06:32 PM)ToeNailer Wrote: The majority of the porch is only about 15" off the ground and gets plenty of rain on the first few feet of porch all the way around, even though covered. The SYP fixes that were In place have not lasted very long.   Traditionally the ends are exposed to see the T&G.  I could breadboard the SYP to help protect the ends a bit more.   I am just gun-shy to use something that will rot the fastest. 

Just got an updated cost on the synthetic aeratis, 6.4K .  

Haven't worked with the Cypress before but not opposed. 

Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense now. I still vote for cypress.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry