Japanese Chisel Expectations vs Reality
(07-03-2021, 02:52 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Eliot-

Since you blew a ton of money for some suspect Japanese chisels, you may be poor but still want to wale away on some wood. Here's something really cheap, brought up on another  forum....

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/f...-chase-hf/

David, the OP of the post originated the Unicorn Method of tool sharpening, and has an article in the proper page of WoodCentral. These guys are from Harbor Freight and will set you back about $10 for 6.  Do note that he has reshaped the blades on them and will replace the handles. Has replaced at least one handle.

I am getting a couple sets to fill out the odd shape, and construction work that demands more abuse than my pricier chisels.
David, the OP of the post originated the Unicorn Method of tool sharpening

Unless he was doing it before 1965, he didn't "originate" it...he discovered it...'65 is how long I have been buffing my edges...Using muslin buffs, felt wheels, MDF and leather.. I had an extensive vintage pocket knife collection and renewed all of them in that manor. I still do it with all my sharpening, using both wheels and belts. I described it about 19 yrs ago on this forum, along with how to sharpen bandsaw blades using a Dremel, with the blade still on the machine.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Tage Frid buffed his edges and documented the process in his books and dovetailing video. And he didn't claim to have invented anything. My guess would be that he saw this being done when he was an apprentice.

There were other articles in Fine Woodworking over the years about finishing edges on a buffer.

And the classic book Planecraft recommended, in certain circumstances, cap iron settings in the .2 to .5 mm range (if you can do simple arithmetic) going back to the first volume printed in the 1930s. Same chart, same advice through I think six or seven printings from the 1930s through the last in the 1980s - a special printing sponsored by Woodcraft.

None of this is new.
(07-04-2021, 05:07 AM)CStan Wrote: Tage Frid buffed his edges and documented the process in his books and dovetailing video.  And he didn't claim to have invented anything.  My guess would be that he saw this being done when he was an apprentice.

There were other articles in Fine Woodworking over the years about finishing edges on a buffer.

And the classic book Planecraft recommended, in certain circumstances, cap iron settings in the .3 to .5 mm range (if you can do simple arithmetic) going back to the first volume printed in the 1930s.  Same chart, same advice through I think six or seven printings from the 1930s through the last in the 1980s - a special printing sponsored by Woodcraft.

None of this is new.
None of this is new.

That's how I see it also...It has probably been "re-discovered" many times since electricity was harnessed...
Winkgrin
Yes

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I stand corrected. Forget anything I suggest. Have a good time with this post, you trolls.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(07-04-2021, 08:57 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ......................
None of this is new.

That's how I see it also...It has probably been "re-discovered" many times since electricity was harnessed...
Winkgrin  
Yes

No doubt.
Comment to the room:

Placing things in a historical context is not disagreement.

If you use a particular technique and I point out that you're in good company because X, Y, and Z did the same thing that's not an insult. If you weren't aware that the technique is not new, and somehow learning that it's not new upsets you, that's on you.

Good luck making a breakthrough discovery in the working of wood, stone, or metal. People have been dealing with these materials for just a little while at this point. That said, workshop practices varied at different times and in different places but almost always ended up at pretty much the same point -- a creditable piece of woodworking or maybe even an outright masterpiece.

To the OP:

Get a decent set of Western chisels and move on down the road. There is no such thing as a bargain Japanese chisel. If you want good ones, be prepared to pay out the nose (relatively speaking). Otherwise in the world of Western-pattern stuff Narex would be fine, ditto vintage Marples, Sorby, Stanley et al., new Stanleys would work, certainly Lee Valley's offerings would be a great choice as would Lie-Nielsen's if they ever get back on their feet again (apologies if things are back to normal there already). You have before you an embarrassment of riches with regard to Western woodworking equipment - new and vintage. You'd be smart to take advantage of it.
So......how did this devolve from BAD Japanese chisels over to a who-made-who arguement about a technique to sharpen Western style chisels?

Sounds like a case of...
Uhoh

"MY Sensei is more powerful and uses the one true path, than your Sensei.."  ( cue the bad, canned laughter track, LOL)

Hey Sharp is SHARP, how one gets there, is up to them.....ever since swords were made from Bronze...
Sleep

BTW...Popcorn is done...want Salt, or Melted Butter...or both?
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-04-2021, 12:10 PM)CStan Wrote: Comment to the room:

Placing things in a historical context is not disagreement.

If you use some technique and I point out that you're in good company because X, Y, and Z did the same thing that's not an insult.  If you weren't aware that the technique is not new, and somehow learning that it's not new upsets you in some way, that's on you.
In '65 we had no internet, and we learned by being taught by others or by what we could read in books etc..Some things we learned by discovery or by experimentation {or by accident
Crazy }..I haven't really "invented" anything that I am aware of, but I have "discovered" a few things...I have discovered that a very keen edge could be achieved with the proper use of a high speed buffer and some abrasive compound...and a very keen edge could also be removed with "improper" use of one
Crazy
Big Grin

It's all good....

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Agree.

I just stropped a 1/4" chisel on the wing of a dead cicada. I think I actually may have just made a bona fide breakthrough. I'm going to start collecting wings from dead cicadas and start a business. Ahh, internet fame and fortune await! I'll be famous. Woodworkers far and wide will bow down before my name. I can see it all now...
Does that mean I can no longer just use the pants leg of my work jeans?  
Raised
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that