Next
Used some pine scraps, instead of Ash....Ash vs Iron...doesn't always go well....
Needed a wee bit off the top..
Winkgrin

laid out 4 notches...bandsaw to make a few cuts..

Ends are notched, for a better fit....chisel to chop the waste..

Cleaned this one up, transfer the lines to the other one...saw and chop....sand a bit, to smooth things up a bit....dry fit (with the spokeshaves)

Remove the spokeshaves, add a bead of glue to the bottom of the rack...I  already had a few lines marked as to where the 2 will be sitting...
Winkgrin

A press fit...then a coat of shellac.....allow to dry..reinstall the spokeshaves..

Waiting on coat #3 of the shellac to dry...then see about a coat, or 2, of a clear Gloss Poly....

Stay tuned, almost done...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
PIP: 2nd coat of Clear Gloss Poly

Awaiting a good rub down today
Winkgrin 

BTW:  Added a chain for the lid,  and a bit of foam liner for underneath the spokeshaves' cutters...

Will rub things down, and fix any missed areas...then see how it will look...

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Got that rubbed down....added a 3rd coat, and went on some errands...this afternoon, rubbed the 3rd coat down...heated up the branding iron....not sure which takes longer..heating it up, or..cooling it down.   Electric, just a case of plug it in..and wait..
Rolleyes

A little touch-up, here and there...about ready  to call this..done?  
Cool

And...

A simple, little latch..

Brass hinges..end view?

Lift the lid, to show off the chain..
Cool

Colour of the wood is simply from the Amber Shellac ( 3 coats!)

Up front, A Stanley #53,  then 2 by Seymour Smith & Son (highly recommend them, too!)Then a "Have no idea, but it works"  shave...

Size of this little box?   Stands 5-1/2" tall, counting the 1-1/2" of feet.   Front to back is 7-1/4", and is 12-3/8" long/wide...my hands are big enough, I do not need any handles...The Stanley No. 80 was just too big to fit IN the box...so, it gets to hang from a nail that these spokeshaves had been hanging from..
Uhoh

Thanks for looking in!
Winkgrin
Thanks Bandit!

I like it.

I really appreciate and enjoy your build-along posts.  

Thanks for taking the time to share

-Brian
Bandit

Alot of work but it is the best I have seen so far.  Well done buddy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.