My most ambitious project to date - a custom guitar inspired by a 1959 Les Paul
I have been plugging away at this for months and finally...it's alive!

Link to video
Very Beautiful work!
Don't know much about guitars but that looks like a nice one. Any particular motivation for building this particular guitar? Is there a back story? Challenges you faced and overcame for those who've never done this.

Doug
Wow, that's really pretty.  How does it sound?

I've been toying with the idea of making a ukulele for my oldest son, who lost his in a flood in a basement he was staying in while playing minor league ball a few years ago.  He was learning to play as a pastime, and I've always been interested in the luthier's art, but never gave it a go.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-05-2021, 07:55 PM)FLWoodworker84 Wrote: I have been plugging away at this for months and finally...it's alive!

Link to video

Awesome! Building an electric bass is on my bucket list
Smile

Only comment is with the video itself, I think you're flipping through pix too fast
Smile
(07-05-2021, 07:55 PM)FLWoodworker84 Wrote: I have been plugging away at this for months and finally...it's alive!

Link to video

And I thought I was  a woodworker!
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(07-05-2021, 10:13 PM)Tapper Wrote: Don't know much about guitars but that looks like a nice one. Any particular motivation for building this particular guitar? Is there a back story? Challenges you faced and overcame for those who've never done this.

Doug

Doug - I totally coveted this guitar. I found a Les Paul forum with a Luthiers section where some of the hardcore members generously created measured drawings based on a selection of actual models of the vintage. The drawings were very detailed and included drawings for routing templates as well. This was my second guitar build - but first where I built the neck too. For the previous guitar, I used a bolt-on neck. I spent about 250 hours on this I figure over the course of 268 days. I would also figure that at least half that time was dedicated to building templates and jigs. I had two oh 5h!t moments - I applied the ABS plastic binding before I rough routed the shape into the face of the guitar. Right near the end, the router grabbed the binding and detached it all around the horn of the guitar. It actually chewed up the las half inch nearest the neck. I decided to repair instead of replace. You really have look to see the patch. I also had to move two tuning machine holes in the headstock (the two closest to the nut) because they were in jeopardy of interfering with the strings that would be on the next two. Thankfully I caught that before gluing the neck to the body. I moved the holes about 2mm closer to the perimeter.
Here are some photos...

(07-06-2021, 11:01 AM)mound Wrote: Awesome! Building an electric bass is on my bucket list
Smile

Only comment is with the video itself, I think you're flipping through pix too fast
Smile

Thanks for the feedback...this video was designed as a reveal for the guitar - I had been posting progress on social media (pixelated photos at end). Within the video, the pics of the process were just there to show that ALOT went into this. I may go back and do another video that focuses on the "how I did it" if people are interested.
(07-07-2021, 10:55 AM)FLWoodworker84 Wrote: Doug - I totally coveted this guitar. I found a Les Paul forum with a Luthiers section where some of the hardcore members generously created measured drawings based on a selection of actual models of the vintage. The drawings were very detailed and included drawings for routing templates as well. This was my second guitar build - but first where I built the neck too. For the previous guitar, I used a bolt-on neck. I spent about 250 hours on this I figure over the course of 268 days. I would also figure that at least half that time was dedicated to building templates and jigs. I had two oh 5h!t moments - I applied the ABS plastic binding before I rough routed the shape into the face of the guitar. Right near the end, the router grabbed the binding and detached it all around the horn of the guitar. It actually chewed up the las half inch nearest the neck. I decided to repair instead of replace. You really have look to see the patch. I also had to move two tuning machine holes in the headstock (the two closest to the nut) because they were in jeopardy of interfering with the strings that would be on the next two. Thankfully I caught that before gluing the neck to the body. I moved the holes about 2mm closer to the perimeter.

Don,

Thanks for the story on the guitar - what a beautiful piece of functional art! There is nothing like working on a project that you are passionate about and excited to build - great job and thanks for sharing!

Doug