Watch out for scammers
Just a friendly reminder that (unfortunately) we have some members who are trying to scam others in the Swap N' Sell section.  I recently posted about wanting to purchase a Jessem Table Saw Stock Guides and I received a PM from a "member" who had zero posts/activity (first sign).  After a few back-n-forths with him/her, I asked them to send a few pics of the guides so I could see the condition and lo and behold, they're pics I can go find on a google search (I even confirmed with them that they took the pics).  I know most of you are already aware that we need to be careful who we deal with on the buy/sell forum but having been a member here for several years now, this was my first encounter with someone trying to scam me.  

Already sent an email to the mods but just be careful out there.
Good warning..............
Yah I got a couple of fishy PMs as well. The wording on the PMs sounded off to me so I didn't even reply. Especially when I see that they just joined in a day or so before sending the PM. Is it possible (or would it be a good idea) to have it so that members can't PM without having a minimum number of posts or time period after join date?
I've gotten a fishy PM as well about a WTB post. Being a responsible and cautious online citizen, I quickly recognized it as being scammy. I'm on an automotive forum for my 4Runner and they have some rules that make you post in the "beginner forum" or only reply to posts a certain number of times before you can engage fully in the forums.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Yup, that Mattylims messaged me multiple times saying he had all the things I was looking for. Funny I saw he tried scamming multiple others. He probably made a new account since his name got out. I wonder if the moderators can ban IP addresses
(07-21-2021, 01:34 PM)Yodascaretaker Wrote: Yup, that Mattylims messaged me multiple times saying he had all the things I was looking for. Funny I saw he tried scamming multiple others.  He probably made a new account since his name got out.  I wonder if the moderators can ban IP addresses

When an account is banned, the IP address used to register is also banned.

Unfortunately, many of them lately use VPN IP addresses and we have legitimate WN members who use VPN for privacy or for security. So, we cannot ban the entire block of IP addresses that any particular VPN provider uses without cutting off those legitimate WNers as well.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
ALWAYS ASK FOR A SELLER TO INCLUDE A WRITTEN TIMESTAMP ON PAPER (DATE AND USERNAME) NEXT TO ANY ITEM YOU ARE GOING TO BUY SO THEY CAN PROVE THEY HAVE IT.

Also, do a Google image search (reverse image lookup) to make sure they aren’t using a photo that is available online. AND ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES.

If you are selling to someone, only ship to the address that is auto listed on their PayPal. If you ship to another address, they can claim they never got it and PayPal will side with them. (If they say “Can you ship to my brother’s address?” or something like that. Do not do it. Have them change the address in their PayPal account otherwise you lose all protection).
Also, I believe using "Friends and Family" option to save the seller a few points (the Paypal commission) makes you SOL, should the deal go south...
edit (Looks like this information is repeated in the beware of Mattylims thread)
Some good advice included in this thread, but it is time to close it and get back to sales and swaps.

If someone has a need to add more, then PM me and we can re-open the thread.

Thanks to everyone.